Announcements

Forum >> Announcements >> 2035 End of Season coming...   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

Hardwood College Basketball
Just made doubly sure you don't red shirt 4 and 5 star players because it is devastating to recruiting and I can attest to that fact.
punkska

Lincoln University PA Lions
II.1

On the other hand, check some of the Legends teams, or LL2/3 teams. You'll find plenty of teams are happy to redshirt 4 and 5 star players, and you'd think that many teams who've got to the higher levels of the game can't be that wrong.

There's more to consider who/when to RS than just blanket rules like "don't RS 4 stars". The RS penalty for 4 stars, even stacking multiple 4 stars isn't that bad.

The penalty for redshirting a 5 star is harsh though, but again, not saying I'd never do it again...

Something I think teams (especially newer teams?) also need to consider more is whether your player is actually worth keeping for an extra season, rather than blanket redshirting everyone who's eligible. A bad player on your roster for longer than you want is also an issue.
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

Let's put it this way. I made the mistake and RSed a 4 star and a 5 star because I didn't want to wreck my graduation / recruit rotation. The next season and it seemed like longer than that I couldn't get an in state player from 0 to low in under 16 to 20 contacts when normally you could get the same guy for 4 or 6 to maybe a max of 10 contacts per level.

That is a doubling of the required contacts all in the name of something that is supposed to be "more realistic." This is a game isn't it and it should be fun shouldn't it? That takes something away from the fun factor.

If that isn't harsh than I don't know what is because it ruined the team because I couldn't get crap to fill the vacant spots. Had to settle for lousy players that absolutely nobody else wanted and it wasn't this team. It was another team that was in division one and now it ain't.

I have essentially given up on that other team and it seems like a lot of changes have been made like the recruiting of 4 and 5 star players that have made this game be not as fun as it once was. Thats my opinion and thats the way is is...
gards710

Dominican Univ. of California Penguins
I.1

16-20 contacts just to get to Low for a LL3 team is nuts. What type of recruiter for a coach did you have? (I can see he was quite good actually). So maybe it was something else? Like maybe the players you were recruiting wanted to actually shoot 3 pointers?

I agree with punkska: redshirting 4 stars, even multiple, is not that bad. Redshirting even one 5* player is a pretty significant hit to your recruiting. It's often said that redshirting a 4* results in a 25% increase in the number of contacts it takes to raise interest while redshirting a 5* player results in a 50% increase.

And yeah, there are other factors to consider. I've decided not to redshirt a few 2* players in my day.
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

Re-read my previous posting. I didn't say it was with this division 3 team. I said it was with another team I had that was in division 1 but what difference does it make, I said it happened and I'm not lying. The coach had good recruiting but that never made a whole lot of difference years ago when I first started and was recruiting instate. Never had to expend 20 contacts to get to low ever. It's just my opinion based on that above and if you don't like it well, I guess thats just too bad. The effect of RSing a 5 star is a lot more than 50%. Where does it officially say that? In the manual? I doubt it because everything in this game is a secret......
gards710

I.1

Perhaps you should re-read my post, Blackbeard. I said LL3, which for most of us is League Level 3, ie III. That is not the same as Division 3. I know it wasn't with St. John's. I assumed it was with Hartford, the only other team that profile of yours has managed. If you meant a different team on another account, then that's a different story.

I never said you were lying either. The percentages I stated were based on my own experience redshirting a 5*, the experiences of other managers doing the same, and all of our pretty detailed record-keeping of things like how many contacts it takes to raise interest levels on each recruit. It does not officially say that anywhere, but I also wouldn't call it a secret. Most of us in the discord openly talk about such things. Come join! Would love to see you there!
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

@gards. Thanks my friend for the kind words.

No it wasn't the old Hartford team, That team was abandoned a long time ago, plus Hartford was before the change to the 4 and 5 star players. Back then there were no restrictions on recruiting 4 and 5 stars players in the lower divisions. Were also no recruiting penalties when they are red shirted.

I have had several other teams after the first team Hartford was built up and had advanced to league 2. Maybe I should explain my take on this game and how I play it so you can better understand my line of thinking. I do it with more than just one team at a time.

IMO (and we all have one of those obviously), this is purely a recruiting game and thats how I play it. I take on bad teams in the lowest leagues and I build them up to respectability. The only requirement is that the team has to be a challenge and that I might like the team name. Then after a number of seasons, maybe 10 at the most I move on to the next one. Maybe thats crazy but thats what I like to do.

So with that said my friend, not everyone plays Hardwood with the intention of getting to the top league. I don't care about that. As you know some folks just like having a team with all the players being from their country of origin. Thats cool. Some like to enjoy the challenge of building a team and don't much care about tactics and all that. With the "so called realism" push, especially in regard to 4 and 5 star players that change has put a rather big damper on the way I play the game.

I definitely have been noticing a rather big change when it comes to 4 and 5 star guys... Thanks again for the input and for the reassuring words, much appreciated.
El jefe

Temple Owls
I.1

Oooooooooh, can we guess which teams?

Northern Illinois?!
gards710

I.1

Blackbeard, how do you feel about the name Huskies?

Updated Monday, November 27 2023 @ 7:45:22 am PST
Slickandjake

Inactive

I like the name Huskies!

Previous Page | Show All |