Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> contacts and penalties   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
baller1987

Central State Marauders
V.5

Hardwood College Basketball
ok, maybe I'm creating a firestorm here but, why is it that there should be a limit on the number of contacts you can make to potential recruits or the number of contact points allotted at the beginning of the season? That's not how it is in the real world of collegiate hoops. You take a look at the number of scholarships you have for your team in a given year and adjust accordingly. There's nothing in the real world of hoops that limits you to how many contacts you can make. also, I don't believe it's necessary to penalize a lower division team for trying to recruit a 4 or 5-star player. Of course, it's probably not realistic to expect that a lower division 2 or 3 school to get that high caliber of player but I don't think it's warranted that teams in lower divisions should be penalized. The players should be open to all schools for recruitment, not just the upper tier schools. This practice seems unfair in my opinion!
lmartins6746

North Greenville Crusaders
IV.4

Div 2 and 3 schools do recruit 4 and 5 star players here. Maybe don't think of it as a penalty, but their recruiting isn't as effective. Similar to how (given everything else equal) a level 4 school doesn't recruit as effectively as a level 3 school.

While there may not be ncaa rules about number of contacts they certainly regulate when and how you can contact a recruit. Also, time is finite so maybe think of the recruiting contacts as blocks of time for the coaching staff.

Not sure what you are suggesting RE recruiting contact limits. Are suggesting a system with no limits and you can just spam contacts forever? where is the strategy there?

Updated Wednesday, January 17 2024 @ 7:31:30 pm PST
Fireballer34

Albany Great Danes
V.4

As a D2 or even 3 school, if you put a lot of effort into a 4 or 5 star player, you can land them. Just look at UCF for proof. But really, as a D2 or 3 school you should go for high 2 and 3 star recruits to get you into D1, then you can start with higher recruits. A lot of the time, if you look at some of best teams rosters, it is mainly just made up of 3 stars with very good skills, and guys like that are fair game for anyone, although better schools contacts will probably still be more effective. With my team, I usually only recruit guys with no or low interest at the time of me contacting them.
Ced

Indiana Hoosiers
III.4

I hear you. Just recruit the 2s and fews and 3s with some speed and size is what I'd say. Don't wanna get into Hardwood lore in detail rn, but top recruits playing at Northeastern Nowhere University was nerfed long ago.

See 2007 season and roster onwards for:

http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/history/847/1

Hawaii University was pulling the same *beep* the following year, and it has all been nerfed.

There are no more Deion Sanders JSU recruiting moments in Hardwood, if you wanna talk real world, just a league of his own on the recruiting trail. Real world now has that NIL dough to consider, Hardwood does not.

Stars are something to consider. Now player builds... are everything.
electriceel883

Wisconsin Badgers
III.2

I think 4-5 stars can even be detrimental in some instances. I prefer to bring players along, but 4-5 stars dont get that RS year. Some people redshirt them, but I dont. Depending on the talent thats out there it becomes erratic how many scholarships have to be filled. Last season I recruited 2 JC players, which further complicates things. I for one have has very little success starting a 4 or even 5 star right away. You would think that was the point with those guys, to be ready right away. Of course I think I've only had one 5 star, but he has been far from a game wrecking dominator.

http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/player/171391

Failed as a SG, better in the post

http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/player/167987

a redshirtable guy like this plays rings around him with basically same SI.

So, dont get stuck on stars or even SI, you can make a very good team otherwise.

http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/player/171615

unheralded player no one wanted, has eased his way in like most of the guys I sign, and rewarded me with 20,16 SI growth seasons. If you look at anything, look at growth rate. While an 11 POT big whose final SI probably wont be that high can be reasonably productive with about 10-12 growth a season, I have had success targeting guys that have multiple 15-20 SI seasons in HS. Growth may vary a bit season to season, but usually ends up strong.

My two cents
baller1987

Central State Marauders
V.5

Ok, electriceel883, that does make sense. I have a senior post player who, at the time of his recruitment only had a si of something like 73 but now as a senior on my squad, is currently leading my team in scoring ad is providing me with a real good post presence. So, you just never know I guess. With regards to the number of contacts, I think a manager needs to look at their team needs and spend contacts accordingly. For instance, if a team has a lot of scholarships to fill and the team only has 29 or 30 contact points to spend on a vast number like 5 or 6, you cannot spend enough contacts on every player, there just isn't enough to go around given the present state of affairs. Just my two sense.

Previous Page | Show All |