Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Portal   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
therelabeef

DePaul Blue Demons
V.9

Hardwood College Basketball
Thank you gards for the past discussions on the portal. After skimming through these there seems to be 3 main problems with the transfer portal.

1.) Would hurt established teams and would be a "gift" to struggling programs and new users

2.) This ones just me, but I think it would take a lot of work to implement such a big factor into the game.

3.) How would it even work??

4.) Waste of recruiting points you previously spent.
therelabeef

DePaul Blue Demons
V.9

Please read this and I think it is a very good proposal. Any questions or concerns please but below! Thank yall

TRANSFER PORTAL MANIFESTO

Okay so this is a document with my own implementation of adding the transfer portal to hardwood. Below is my full idea how I could possibly see it playing out, and making this already excellent game, more realistic.

So with the transfer portal there would need to be one thing added to the game to make it work.

Moral - This would be the main way for you to see if a player could potentially want out at the end of the season. I would personally have moral on a scale of 1-20, just like the rest of the player abilities. This being said, Any moral below 5 could mean a player would want out. Morals could be based on many things but I think it should be based on 4 main ideas.
Projected Playing time. - If a player believes he should be playing and is not, that should lower his morale. This could be based off the talent of the players starting for him in his respective position
Redshirting - If a freshman believes he can make an immediate impact on a team due to talent reasons, and gets redshirted instead. This should definitely lower morale. I feel like the punishment is not large enough for teams redshirting 5 and 4 stars who could be playing significant minutes. If a 5 star is redshirted because there is better talent ahead of him, then this should not affect his morale.
New Coaching Hires - I feel like this could and should affect morale the most out of all of these. These recruits commit to play for a coach, and if that coach is fired during a player's tenure with the team, this would have an obvious effect on the players. It should be said that some players will be fine with a coaching change(especially if it is a known veteran coach) , so that should be implemented into the algorithm.
State of the team - A past 4 or 5 star player should really not belong in division three. If I were a recruit, this would bother me. So your state of your team should affect some highly touted players who want to play for a winning program. (Temple, Western MI, Dominican, Azusa P, Butler)
+
Ok now that we are finished with morale and how a player could transfer out, we should now look at how you could potentially receive a transfer. It should also be noted that if a player has a morale under 5, they should have about a 40/60% chance of transferring. If it is in that 6-9 range they should have about a 15/85% chance of transferring. Most players should have a high morale and it should be pretty difficult to get it under 5.

Getting a Portal Player
I feel like this is the easiest part of the transfer portal process. During that 3-4 day span in between seasons ( Usually Friday-Monday) you should be able to use Portal Points. After a season, there should be a list of players who have entered the portal. Next to the players names, there should be an interest level already stated. So a transfer interest in your school could be High, Medium, Low or nothing before you have used a single Portal Point. That being said, a player cannot come to your school if you have not offered him a scholarship. Also note that other teams and users cannot see a player's interest in your college until you offer the player a scholarship. Also you can obtain as many transfers as you want, as long as you have enough scholarships to give out after High School Recruiting. If a previous player of yours has entered the portal, he can still recommit back depending on his interest in your school.

Only scholarship players on your roster can enter the transfer portal. If there are leftover players in the portal with 0 offered scholarships (the weaker transfers), they can randomly join a team not on scholarship just like a walk-on would.

Updated Monday, December 11 2023 @ 10:18:59 am PST

Updated Monday, December 11 2023 @ 10:19:50 am PST
Fireballer34

Albany Great Danes
V.4

Those factors work except for the state of the team one. I agree there needs to be a factor something like that, but for high star recruits, they shouldn’t transfer out after one season of the team sucking. They should only transfer for the other reasons, OR if the team continues to be bad after a few years AND the player is pretty much carrying the team, then they whould seek a transfer.
therelabeef

DePaul Blue Demons
V.9

Yes that is more what I meant. Like after a couple years with the team they have not met the level of play where the player wants to play at. But I agree with you
imad0211

Inactive

we need to be able to make a promise to recruits and if the promise is not met then the chance of them transferring is higher
therelabeef

DePaul Blue Demons
V.9

I think that is pretty reasonable. Would probably be a hard thing to implement into the game though because it would be personalized around each seperate player.
Bielsa

Texas Tech Red Raiders
IV.2

I think the only way for thisto work, if it even makes sense, is to let coaches to send any player into the transfer portal to get backa scholarship.

With that you can give recruiting penalties to those programs and any other feature you want.

But adding any more sort of RNG/Luck to the logic of this game should be ilegl, the balance is perfect as it is now.
therelabeef

DePaul Blue Demons
V.9

I agree there. I dont really think there is any luck involved in my version though
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

Updated Saturday, December 16 2023 @ 11:15:40 am PST
Ced

Indiana Hoosiers
III.4

1.) Would hurt established teams and would be a "gift" to struggling programs and new users

2.) This ones just me, but I think it would take a lot of work to implement such a big factor into the game.

3.) How would it even work??

4.) Waste of recruiting points you previously spent.

1. No. In real life, that is not the case. The best transfers go to established teams. Look at 2023. The reasons do not exist in Hardwood at this time. There are players who surpass predictions and expectations, but the best players go to the best teams in Hardwood. We don't know what the portal system would be, but if a 5-star 13 POT transfers from a Conference somewhere relevant to Division 3, it would be a recruiting violation in my eyes.

2. After they sign their national letter of intent LOI, we don't know anything about a player's feelings whatsoever. We don't know why they would want to transfer. We know two things: that they have 100% loyalty to their alma mater and that they 100% graduate in 4-5 years. No other info. If they don't like their coach, don't like a lack of playing time, don't like redshirting, we are never told that.

3. See number 2. A personality system would need to be developed. It could simply work like the waiver system in Broken Bat too, if the player unhappiness situation is reached, then they enter the portal.

4. An unhappy or disappointed player would not care about your recruiting points.

Previous Page | Show All |