Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> All-American Criteria   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

Hardwood College Basketball
Did you even read some of the material on those links you posted. I read some off the first link in your list and one person, a wrestler was majoring in Bioengineering.

Another one was studying History/Psychology

You would probably have to be kind of smart to be a " Wildlife and Fisheries Science" major.

And I know first hand about this person majoring in "Mechanical Engineering" because that is one of the toughest things short of studying medicine trying to become an MD because mechanical engineering is loaded with advanced math and you do have to have a very high IQ to excel in that..

Maybe college basketball players come from the stupid & dumb category of students that are only doing it for the eventual pro money. But then the link YOU posted contains Big Ten, wrestlers, womens swimming, a gymnast, ice hocky and only one basketball player which was a woman, NO male basketball players in the big 10 made all american..

So stop with the BS replies because apparently in the Big 10 at least, basketball players are too dumb to make the 22 persons named to that conference all american choices.

In fact, you posting that first link proved my point that it should be based on IQ because there were NO basketball players other than that 1 woman. I didn't bother wasting the time looking at the others...

bengalman501

Cal Poly Pomona Broncos
III.2

My bad there, I should have clarified that we only care about honorees as the actual “teams” are mostly political in who is chosen but our honorees ares all numbers based

Per Big Ten’s list
“ To be eligible for Academic All-Big Ten selection, students must be on a varsity team (as verified by being on the official squad list as of March 1 for winter sports), have been enrolled full time at the institution for a minimum of 12 months and carry a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or higher”

3.0 is all you need which I think we can all agree isn’t genius levels of intelligence. I understand you’re frustration that random degrees were on the teams but as I said they are mostly politics between schools and should not be considered in what is being looked at.

Edey doesn’t appear on the Honorees list for the Big Ten, or any team list if that matter to you. Which means he did not have a GPA of 3.0 or higher. He has been enrolled at the school for more than 12 months so he is eligible.

Please tell me that it’s realistic to have hardwood’s All-American votes take IQ as 50% or any percent of the value. How in real life do we have a College Basketball Player of the Year and the first name on the All-American list be under a 3.0 and still say it’s IQ based.

Blackbeard I know you’re an intelligent person, most likely smarter than me but I see you’re misinformed about how the NCAA runs things and this is my world of knowledge, I’ve just started my D1 football career and last semester I worked as a recruiter for the same team so I know how they operate behind the scenes and a lot of it is poor communication and shady tactics. And to be fair to you they do a *beep* job at putting things in writing and when they do it’s a massive grey zone of word jumbles so it’s hard for normal people to understand. But just take a step back and look at how most real life All-Americans failed to achieve a 3.0 or higher.
Ced

Indiana Hoosiers
III.4

So stop with the BS replies because apparently in the Big 10 at least, basketball players are too dumb to make the 22 persons named to that conference all american choices.

I respect your opinion. Just don't call my school dumb or the conference dumb without facts. ;) IU basketball players under coach Bob Knight had a degree completion rate of 98%. He coached at Indiana for 29 seasons. Other schools were in the 40% range. There are a variety of ways to determine a student's intelligence, the award that counts is a school sharing lifelong skills that extend beyond the court.
bengalman501

Cal Poly Pomona Broncos
III.2

Indiana Basketball appears to look still healthy academically. 5 of the 13 eligible were All-Academic and it also appears that no one was academically ineligible at any point which usually means above 2.3. Most schools don't report that stuff till they need to so failing students have a chance to contact professors and fix their grades.

All this to say IU players have kept up their grades in accordance with NCAA regulations and are indeed not stupid, in the eyes of the NCAA.
grayman

Methodist University Monarchs
II.1

I think the first thing is that the All-Conference teams should be selected based on statistics, in the manner that pshwartz laid out, rather than skills. Then, the players from the All-Conference teams are eligible for All-American, using the same criteria. Maybe you could further limit the pool to D1 All-Conference players only, like Fireballer suggested, with separate All Americans in D2 and D3.

@Blackbeard
I think you’re confusing All-American with Academic All-American. Those are two separate things. The players on the All-American team are the best at their sport in the nation, their grades have nothing to do with it. Academic All-Americans are what you described above.
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

@grayman Thank you for pointing that out. Yes my above postings were indeed about academic all american which apparently involves college sports teams.

Here is the description for an "all american athelete award" which includes college sports:

"The All-America designation is an annual honor bestowed upon an amateur athlete from the United States who is considered to be one of the best amateurs in their sport. Individuals receiving this distinction are typically added to an All-America team for their sport. Some sports will have multiple All-America teams and will list the honorees as members of a first team, second team, or third team. As such, All-America teams are composed of outstanding US amateur players. Individuals falling short of qualifying for the honor may receive All-America honorable mention. The designation is typically used at the collegiate level, although, beginning in 1957, high school athletes in football began being honored with All-American status, which then carried over to other sports like basketball and cross-country running. The selection criteria vary by sport. Athletes at the high school and college level placed on All-America teams are referred to as All-Americans."

This brings us to the point that an "all american" award in any amateur sport does not take in to consideration the athletes physique, ie, his strength, IQ, speed, ball handling etc... An all american award is based solely on "how the athlete plays the game" which basically boils down to their over all stats not their physical build, potential abilities etc. Sure high SI players will be the likely ones to have the best stats but why eliminate the players that don't have high SI.

I had a power forward on another team a while back that had great power forward only numbers like 20 IS good rebounding and defense but he was only 140 SI as a senior. Under the rules of using SI to calculate all american that player would have no chance of being an all american. And no the team was not in a cream puff division because it ended up being relegated out of division 1...

In each of the 3 divisions the most talented players, the ones that are capable of performing the best are not always the players that are chosen for all american status. Thus the award should be based solely on stats and the player that can accumulate the over all best numbers should be given the award...

Pperhaps you want to base the award on SI and a little bit on stats then just call it "academic all american". Thats easy enough...

And yes, the NCAA like most all governing entities both in sports and all others are rife with corruption and they are totally centered on money but that shouldn't be an issue in HW, even if the next step is to start paying players...

Updated Thursday, January 11 2024 @ 11:29:39 am PST
imad0211

Inactive

this is how utah does it idk how other states are NOMINATION PROCESS
Test Scores GPA
Academic All-State Qualification Index
Each sport and activity season
, the UHSAA will open nominations through
RegisterMyAthlete. Parents/students will enter their RegisterMyAthlete account
and click on the Academic All-State tab to enter their unweighted cumulative
high school GPA, ACT/SAT score, and submit the nomination form. Schools will
confirm the student-athlete is a varsity contributor, confirm the GPA and
ACT/SAT score, verify the student is a senior, and upload a current transcript

prior to submitting the nomination to the UHSAA by the specified deadline (View
deadlines). The Academic All-State award will now be decided by either meeting
an index score (View index) or having a 4.0 unweighted GPA.
an index score or having a 4.0 unweighted GPA.

index scores
SAT ACT
1600 36
1550 35
1520 34
1470 33
1420 32
1380 31
1340 30

Updated Thursday, January 11 2024 @ 1:07:16 pm PST

Updated Thursday, January 11 2024 @ 1:08:07 pm PST
admin

Hardwood Administrator

imad0211 - how is this supposed to intersect with Hardwood.

Steve
Mobbie

SUNY Brockport Golden Eagles
III.4

Probably pertinent to this conversation is how Wuzhou Lai won National Player of the Year in 2035 while not even making his conference IV.6 team.

http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/player/176682

I think 2036 is a much more expected case where Bill Marshall actually won Player of the Year, was All-American and also won his Conference Player of the Year (also made Conference Team as PG).
admin

Hardwood Administrator

Yes, I think it's improved. I can tweak it after a few more seasons if we think there are still some inequities.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |