Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Make interest level a larger factor in timing of commitments   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
basoy6658

Azusa Pacific Cougars
III.2

Hardwood College Basketball
Not filling those scholarships left is a tactic to control the batch that would graduate and it doesn't mean its unrealistic.
pschwartz

Richmond Spiders
I.1

I also know some teams in HW do this as a strategy to pool their contact points into the top players. They might only fill 10 of their scholarships that way. I am not sure if that happened with the last two winners but it is possible.

Please keep in mind, unseen interest (something below low) doesn't necessarily mean no interest.

Yes, because you can’t offer a scholarship without putting in a contact so there will be some level of interest. However, while ‘None’ doesn’t literally mean no interest - to me it means the interest level is insignificant.

And some players, in RL, commit because they only get one D1 offer and they jump on it.

Yes, but then their interest wouldn’t be ‘None’. It seems to me they are very interested if they did that. Not to mention these IRL players have a better sense of the recruiting landscape and probably realize this is will be their only offer.

I keep tweaking the recruiting process to make things more realistic...it is a bit like turning a big ship though and takes time.

If tweaking this would fix it then let’s do that. While it worked out, last year was a little frustrating for me. I had 4 recruits on very high interest (all 3 stars) and none of them committed until halfway through the season or later. While waiting I was watching most of my back-up options commit despite only having interest at low or none. Anything that can be done to prevent the above scenario from happening will be an improvement.
admin

Hardwood Administrator

I keep adding new twists & prospect behavior to the game -- sometimes it takes a few seasons for people to recognize the changing behavior and not every recruit behaves in the same manner.

Interest level is now a factors in the timing of some prospects now.

Steve
pschwartz

Richmond Spiders
I.1

Thanks for putting something in place.
El jefe

Temple Owls
I.1

Steve,

Want to formally bring up something we were discussing in Discord today. Seems to be some interest to have a higher proportion of recruits commit earlier when a team is on "High interest" and there is no other team with at least "Low interest". Flexibility in whether "High interest" means Very High or just High.

Driver behind this is there are some frustrations when these guys sit out in the recruiting pool for so long - (1) this leaves you susceptible to someone swooping in last minute, (2) currently handcuffs you a bit in recruiting other players/future classes due to the necessity to save points in case someone swoops in, and (3) isn't that realistic since if a player has one scholarship offer and is REALLY interested, they probably take it vs sitting on it for half the season.

Doesn't need to apply in every circumstance, but a higher proportion would be more realistic/beneficial.
therelabeef

DePaul Blue Demons
V.9

+1 for el jefe
El jefe

Temple Owls
I.1

Coming back to a few things here.
- Still seeing a lot of guys sitting on only one "High" offer for quite a long time
- Feel like I'm actually seeing fewer comments about a player wanting to commit early, wanting to take his time to make a decision. I would prefer we have a better indication for EVERY player on when they plan to commit. So maybe three options for the comment - (1) wants to commit early, (2) wants to take his time making a decision, and something like (3) unsure when he wants to commit.

If someone has a better idea on #3, I'm all for it. The lack of visibility right now is challenging. Also, for guys who may be academically ineligible, maybe we can add something about when the final determination will be made "will get his grades mid-season", "will have to go to summer school" (which would mean towards the end of the season), things like that.

Updated Tuesday, December 19 2023 @ 8:37:46 am PST
Phil_McGroin

Minot State Beavers
V.1

Not sure if this could be coded in or not. But have pipeline areas kind of outside of the region. Like you land a few recruits in Georgia or California, have it a little easier to draw interest from players around those areas as long as they have players on the roster from there. Also if the coach is from a certain area, maybe make it easier to recruit cause they in theory know the area better.
cwb

Prairie View A&M Panthers
III.2

Pipelines have been suggested before. See here: http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/forum/1/5/2098

Thanks for the changes/updates, Steve. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I was initially against it, as it seems it might give the big schools an advantage… that they can go for those competitive 5*s, and then if they strike out, then toward a lower rated recruit who a small school had been pursuing. But hopefully this helps those small schools land recruits quicker, to create some balance.

Updated Sunday, February 18 2024 @ 1:22:19 am PST
electriceel883

Wisconsin Badgers
III.2

Ive been seeing more players these past few seasons commit in the early commit period (which I view roughly as #5-#15) without a "eager to commit early" comment. Perhaps it is driven by the high interest thing. Or perhaps a low interest thing if someone is not recruited at all for 3 seasons, then someone does. Perhaps its just me but seems like I have seen less players with "Wants to commit #X" as well.

Updated Wednesday, February 21 2024 @ 12:53:19 am PST

Previous Page | Show All |