Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Make interest level a larger factor in timing of commitments   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
pschwartz

Richmond Spiders
II.2

Hardwood College Basketball
I am going to move a small discussion from here - http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/forum/0/5/980

One frustrating part of recruiting that does not mimic real life is the timing of when recruits commit. I know that some recruits want to commit early while others want to wait until the very end - that happens and is fine. However, when a recruit only has low interest (or in some cases interest below 'low') they should not be committing early in the season, regardless of their desire to commit early.

As an example - http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/prospect/63617
This was one of my backup options that did not have any other schools listed with any interest. He committed on update #15. He wasn't interested in any school at that time so why is he committing?

On the flip side - http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/prospect/60138. I have had him on 'Very High' interest since the beginning of the season. A couple other teams are on low. It makes no sense that he has not committed yet.

I propose these changes (in order of importance):

1. If a recruit only has 'Low' interest or below they will not commit to a school until the last 10 recruiting updates. I think this makes sense because why would a player choose to go to a school he is not that interested in attending? They would wait until the end of the recruiting season to see if they get better offers (i.e. more interest)
2. If there is a sizable gap from the highest interest school to the 2nd highest that recruit should commit in the near term (within 7 days). What that gap is I don't know, but maybe top school is on 'High' and 2nd school is on 'Low'.
3. Maybe factor in new contacts coming in. If a recruit is on medium and hasn't had any other contacts from other schools in a week (so almost a month in-game) then they commit.

These changes will allow users to better plan their recruiting strategy and allow for better backup options. If I lose out on a target I can go after one of my 'low' targets. Right now that is a risk because that 'low' target might decide to commit early and take up a scholarship.

Obviously, I don't how how the sausage is made in regards to when recruits make their commitment decisions so these might not be doable, but I think we could probably figure something out.
El jefe

Temple Owls
I.1

Very much agree with this
Gophy2611

Lehigh Mountain Hawks
IV.7

pschwartz

I 100% agree. I have a player who has been on some level of high all season. No one else has interest over low and it doesn't appear there are even new teams targeting him this season. He should have committed to me weeks ago. And now after the last 2-3 seasons of recruiting I'm worried some other team will have missed out on all their guys and somehow swoop in and beat me out ( I have no idea how they'd have enough contacts to do that but that's beside the point).
pschwartz

Richmond Spiders
II.2

Ok, I have some examples that are kind of ridiculous:

http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/prospect/66480
This player committed to Whitman College earlier today despite having no interest in any schools.

http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/prospect/68896
This player committed to Fairleigh Dickinson earlier today despite not having any interest in attending there. He did have low interest in another school but they didn't offer a scholarship.

I get that some players want to commit early but this is nuts. No one would commit to a school that they have no interest in. Of the 21 players that committed today 9 of them only had Low interest or below in schools. Why are they committing? The second guy I listed above is actually not that bad of a player (102 SI, 11 POT,) and could get on a better team by just waiting rather than committing to a team he has no interest in.

Updated Saturday, January 25 2020 @ 6:16:31 am PST
basoy6658

Azusa Pacific Cougars
IV.3

+1
ESac

Inactive

Last season, I saw Jack Burke and was thinking of trying to recruit him. I kept him in my recruiting tab. He had no one recruiting him. The day before I was about to add points to him, he commits to Coe. I knew for a fact he had no interest in any school.

Long story short: +1.
admin

Hardwood Administrator

I keep tweaking the recruiting process to make things more realistic...it is a bit like turning a big ship though and takes time.

Please keep in mind, unseen interest (something below low) doesn't necessarily mean no interest. And some players, in RL, commit because they only get one D1 offer and they jump on it.

The intention is to have higher rate players commit early in general -- but not completely. Also, there are some mechanisms for higher interest levels to commit earlier.

Not every prospect will behave the same though...and recruiting is not intended to be easy and entirely deterministic.

Steve
Ichabod

Inactive

I keep tweaking the recruiting process to make things more realistic...

The last two season's Div-I National Champions closed out their season with unfilled scholarships remaining. That's about as unrealistic as you can get in recruiting cycles. A will to resolve recruiting might rectify, but tweaks don't hold the solution.
hockeytrb99

Pittsburgh Panthers
V.11

I think most D1 schools in real life don't fill all all their scholarship slots each year.

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page