Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> The Venting Thread   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
newtman

Inactive

Hardwood College Basketball
I didn't really want to be the person to create this thread here, since I created it in Broken Bat, but since when I posted my frustrations with my team's performance in other threads people took it as me asking for diagnosis, apparently it is time.

Sometimes RNG just goes against you, whether it is your best shooter going stone cold, that coveted recruit deciding to go to someone else, or your team collectively forgetting how to play basketball for a crucial 5 minute stretch. This thread is for lamenting those times when things just don't break in your favor.
celtic4warrior

California Lutheran Kingsmen
V.1

Good on you man, we need this! Especially when there is no seeming consistency among any of your players... Argh...

celtic4warrior
mukilteomike

Inactive

Amen. Preach it.
Pig_Cola

Arizona State Sun Devils
V.1

My team started out the season so well, but everything is going down the drain now. I hope the team can pick their play so we can promote this season.
celtic4warrior

V.1

Just no consistency among my players at all....

celtic4warrior
Rock777

Inactive

Got my first recruit... Not someone I really wanted. More of an experiment to see if I could get a guy with one contact. Experiment successful. Now I'm stuck with him... :(
coachwannabe

Penn Quakers
IV.1

lol Rock.. I could've told you that.
Rock777

Inactive

Yeah, but he was the worst of the batch. Every day I was thinking I should remove the offer since his SI growth has been garbage this year, and every day I decided, I'll just wait until some of these guys start committing. Of course he ends up being one of the first to commit :( Pulled offers from most of the other internationals. Just left a couple of 1-contact guys that I think might be decent, but really I have enough Juniors are High interest I don't need anyone this year...
mukilteomike

Inactive

The opponent has two players that take 43 shots in a game and our team can't figure out to defend them? Give me a break. Couple that with end of the game silliness and it equates to another tight loss. The basketball simply isn't good and isn't what this game is supposed to be?
coachwannabe

Penn Quakers
IV.1

Another huge injury to PG Simmons... my team just can't get away from the injury bug and may be at risk of another demotion. :(
mukilteomike

Inactive

I see virtually no reliable cause and effect in this game. Today's example--going up against a good PF and C who have shot 56 and 46% for the season. I have average guys defending them and put in -4 for extend defense to try to make things as difficult as possible for them. What happens? They shoot 89 and 78%. As a team they shoot 86% at the rim and 68% inside. Tactics do diddly.
Onsilas

Inactive

I am reserving judgement on tactics until I have better players.

Pioneers scored 12 points in the second half today. No one fouled out. Those are the starters. 35% FG. 39% FT. 15 OS shot Vick went 1 for 9 today. He was 1 for 9 yesterday too. Looking forward to getting rid of my inherited players.

Radical game plan for tomorrow!
newtman

Inactive

Using the same tactics that I used to beat a D-I team earlier this season, I won by 3 to a winless team and lost by two to a team with two other wins in back to back games. I'm to the point where I wholehearted agree with Mike, tactics don't actually work. I had the better team, had tactics designed to utilize my team's strengths, and my guys didn't execute and also allowed the opponents to do far below their season average in turnovers and far above their season average in shooting percentage. It is nothing short of infuriating when the RNG just dumps on you.

Updated Sunday, September 30 2018 @ 11:25:43 am PDT
celtic4warrior

V.1

So angry at myself for not making this decision earlier. Switched my senior all-around swing player from point to shooting guard and my junior transfer guard from shooting guard to point. Have one three straight since this change and kicking myself for not making the change earlier!!!

celtic4warrior
Onsilas

Inactive

I made a huge change in tactics for yesterday's game. First time I lost to Carnegie Mellon by 23. This time I won by 24. 47 point difference. Lots of luck, but tactic change maybe helped?
Rock777

Inactive

I think they make a difference. And I can see my players playing differently based on my tactics. Its just that there are a lot of factors and players will have good and bad days. Sometimes your best guy just throws up an egg. Other times your best guy gets into foul trouble early. There are so many factors in the game, it can be difficult to see the actual impact, but I am definitely seeing an impact. Good tactics will improve your odds, but they never guarantee a win.

Also doesn't make a lot of sense to compare the same tactics used against two different teams. Each team will have different players and different tactics. You really need to use different tactics against each team given their makeup and tendencies. Sure certain tactics will go well with your team, but you also need to consider your opponent. Feeding your Center all game might work well against a team with weak inside men, but that same strategy will fail against a 7' guy with dominating defensive abilities. A fast pace game could work well against a team with limited speed and defensive abilities, but it could bit you in the butt against a team who is good at stealing the ball and runs a lot of pressure.

Updated Tuesday, October 2 2018 @ 1:14:13 pm PDT
Pig_Cola

Arizona State Sun Devils
V.1

How does a player play for one minute in a game and get a 2 week injury? That makes no sense to me.
Garfscores

Inactive

It is hilarious how bad my team is. Granted, I know next to nothing about basketball but I know that I don't have a center and that is killing me right now. All I've learned about this game so far is that Freshmen can't win and you need to play inside and have a strong C and PF. Basically, everything else doesn't matter.
verysilentone

Mississippi Rebels
II.1

I've lost 3 recruits that I had at high. 2 to lower division schools and one to Oklahoma that was listed as low interest the day before :(

Now, I've gotta restart recruiting efforts for this class instead of concentrating on the JR class.
Pig_Cola

Arizona State Sun Devils
V.1

How does he commit to a D3 team? I put in 35 points into him and got him to high interest early in the season. I'm very disappointed right now. :(
mukilteomike

Inactive

We're almost thru the season and my squad is clinging to the last spot for promotion to league numero uno! And yet, I'm far out of the picture for playing in the tourney. RPI/SOS is definitely messed up.
mjreichard

North Carolina Tar Heels
VI.11

It feels like the game is a bit old-school: big men are important, guards less important, win with upper classmen and bring freshmen along slowly. If you have a superstar guard, then fine they seem to be great, but in general it at least feels like big men rule the day.

I won regular season 1.1 last year with big men and I am up 2 games with 2 left this year also focusing on 2 star big men.
Balbinjj

California Baptist Lancers
V.3

I kinda agree with mj and I am hoping it will improve.
mukilteomike

Inactive

This game is so weird. My players rarely do anything I want them to do. The recruiting is fun, but that's it. I should never even look at the games.
coachwannabe

Penn Quakers
IV.1

Agreed with both mj and mike.

1. Big men are favored wayyy too much. I have probably the best guard combo in my league, but because my C is horrible and my PF is undersized, I get KILLED in games I shouldn't. Also, my PF is actually really good, but he's 6'5, so I guess that puts him at a disadvantage and there's nothing I can do about it.

2. Game tactics are unpredictable. I thought they made a difference at one time, but after experimentation this season, I can use the same tactics against the same team and have a 40 point differential in the two results.
mjreichard

North Carolina Tar Heels
VI.11

It can be frustrating. I rolled through the conference all season last year and then lost the last 2 games, got upset in the first game of conference tournament and then first round of big tournament.

This year I have dominated the conference all season...then lost my last 2 games and I have a feeling this will happen again...

Same players, same tactics and then all of a sudden upsets late.
Yuri84

Portland Pilots
V.4

Yeah, can't figure what to do in this game atm.

Need a miracle to stay up at LL3 now.
mukilteomike

Inactive

Today's game is a perfect example of why I don't understand what goes on. We have averaged 12.5 3 point shots a game despite usually having an inside focus for the team and most players. MSU doesn't look like their perimeter defense is as good as their inside, so I had the focus on o and O with all players and team settings. We shot 8 beyond the arc today. I don't get it.

Updated Sunday, October 14 2018 @ 7:46:31 pm PDT
coachwannabe

Penn Quakers
IV.1

Demoted yet again. So damn frustrating to be given a *beep*ty team from the beginning after doing so well in Beta.
mukilteomike

Inactive

Today's game...

We get destroyed by a good Florida team in the first half, 39-23. The coach makes a brilliant adjustment and we win the second half 54-38 sending it to overtime where we win by a bucket.

So what was the brilliant coaching change? We went from I to i on offense. Brilliant, huh? And that improved our offense to 235% of the first half. Silly.

As a result, we narrowly promote to the top league...and will not participate in the tourney unless we win the conference's (which I don't see happening at all; Michigan State is very, very good).

Updated Monday, October 15 2018 @ 11:29:14 pm PDT
Bridger

Huntington University Foresters
I.1

What?

Road Game at Southwestern Three Days Ago

Home Game against Southwestern with the same settings today...

coachwannabe

Penn Quakers
IV.1

That's frustrating, Bridger. I think the difference was that Southwestern's SG Yong came back from injury and lit you up for 26 points (as opposed to the guy who played SG in the first game and couldn't hit a 3 to save his life).
Bridger

I.1

Good spot, coach.

Yong certainly seems to be the only material difference between the two games. However, I am not sure that swapping Rutledge for Yong should result in a 42-point swing, especially considering that it went from a road game to a home game.

I don't really care about the loss...I won't be invested in my team's performance until the players in the lineup are guys I recruited. It just makes me question the engine a little bit...but it's a work in progress and I am having fun with this game so far.

Updated Thursday, October 18 2018 @ 8:41:03 am PDT
mukilteomike

Inactive

My best player goes 1-14 in the final? Wth.
Yuri84

Portland Pilots
V.4

The draft is... weird to say the least.

Of 60 draftees this season 25 are centers, half of which are crappy.

Honestly, this guy gets picked in the first round? Sure his stats are decent, but if the draft is stat-based then how did this one or this one managed to get drafted? Their stats are subpar, their scouting reports are average at best, their potential and SI are on the lower side of the scale as well.

Yeah, I'm totally mad at Beard not getting picked.

Updated Friday, October 26 2018 @ 2:46:30 am PDT
wil_m

Inactive

I need to vent.

But I'll let Charlie Brown and Lucy from the Peanuts Comic Strip illustrate how I feel.

Feelings about new changes abruptly without warning wiping out hours of work building recruiting interest.

Current understanding and confidence level of how new changes will impact future recruiting.

Ok, I feel better now. It is good to vent. Time to move on and make the best out of it that I can. :-)
coachwannabe

Penn Quakers
IV.1

Officially lost the PG that I've been recruiting since the beginning of last season, all because he went from HIGH to LOW interest when I was demoted, and despite investing 30 more points this season, I couldn't get him back to HIGH.

..excuse me while I stew over losing my team's future...
Pig_Cola

Arizona State Sun Devils
V.1

I'm a little disappointed in myself for not realizing what positions I must recruit at the end of last season. I've wasted 43 recruiting points on players that I've pulled scholarships from and one player that committed to a different college.
allen54chevy

Inactive

Disappointing to lose an instate kid to another instate team in a lower confrence that had less interest (last I check I was the only high interest)
Maybe his parents were an alumn or something and forced him to change his mind.
Guess I'll have to go look for someone with no interest to get cheap... argg.
mukilteomike

Inactive

Good grief. The game knocked out my starting point guard, shooting guard and center. Right.

Edit--No surprise. Screwed thanks to 40% starter availability. Naturally the only time it happened all season was when it mattered the most. A common theme for my teams in SBD games.

Updated Sunday, December 16 2018 @ 2:53:19 pm PST
mukilteomike

Inactive

13 horrible shots by a player set to X for shooting, which was more than any other player?@#$! 2nd highest was 11 and then 8. Losing by 2 when he kept throwing bricks makes it even worse.

Updated Sunday, January 6 2019 @ 1:41:52 pm PST
mukilteomike

Inactive

Some results simply suck. Barger had averaged less than 3 TO a game and just threw away 12 today. Puhleez.

Updated Tuesday, January 15 2019 @ 9:32:29 am PST
mukilteomike

Inactive

The basketball part of this game is so often ridiculous. I keep telling myself I need to do the same thing I do with BrokenBat--don't watch the games. They're a joke.

Lots of examples from today in results, but many that don't even need the results to be ridiculous. For instance, why is a forward with inside emphasis on a team with inside emphasis for the game shooting more three's than not? Absurd.

Updated Friday, January 18 2019 @ 9:31:45 am PST
mukilteomike

Inactive

OMG. Give me a break. Outscored 21-0 in the final 7 minutes to lose by 4. Dumb.
mukilteomike

Inactive

Not my game, but Cincinatti with 71 in a half against a top team?! Right.
oreohowell

Inactive

Tough lost today to one of the worst teams in my Conference. Looking over the box score just makes it worse. One for 23 for 3pts shooting, Out rebound the other team by 10. Offensive rebounding was 18 to 1. This one stung mainly cause I was beginning to think I was getting a handle on managing my team. Grrr.

http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/game/82522
jakala

Inactive

http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/game/75118

Loosing 49 points at 2nd half and only capable to get rebound half of opponent today.

I am beginning to ask my capability to manage team at this game :|
Onsilas

Inactive

Bummer loss today.

I use "I" because my team loves to shoot 3s even though we are bad at it. Today we had a 9 point lead at half time, but came out tossing bricks from the 3 point line in the 2nd half. Lost by 7.

Needed Bellhaven to beat UC Davis, but that didn't happen. Get another season in VI to try and figure things out.
Yuri84

Portland Pilots
V.4

You must be kidding me...
mukilteomike

Inactive

I've commented several times about the end game programming being poor and unrealistic, but I've not seen one at the last second. Very few have responded in kind, which blows my mind. It completely ruins the experience for me, invalidating close games. This one against you is an especially brutal example. Is it possible for a team to score a 3 in one second? I suppose, but wow that sucks.

I'd suggest to reconsider the outcome by adding four appropriate seconds to the play. If you notice there was a 34 second possession from 1:22 to :48. That's 4 seconds too long. Add the error back to the game clock and the play is less spectacular. I know that won't make you feel any better. All it does is further illustrate errors in the game.

Updated Tuesday, February 5 2019 @ 2:54:29 pm PST
Yuri84

Portland Pilots
V.4

And the guy who scored that shot failed every other 3-pointer attempt in the game...

Yeah, game clock is seriously bugged at the moment. Constantly gets rewinded back and forth. Sometimes it even shows negative time. Doesn't make me feel better nonetheless. :/ I probably woldn't mind that (at least that much) in a regular season game but there goes my playoff run and extra playing time for my players.
mukilteomike

Inactive

#1 SOS. #11 RPI. Beat three teams in a row in the conference tourney that were listed as a current #1 seed for the National Tournament. Given a #3 seed in the Big Dance. So what does the official poll say? Crickets. Not even listed in the top 35! Lol!

I'm proud of my guys becoming men. Back to back Conference One Playoff Champs! Lucky, but I'll take it.

Updated Friday, February 8 2019 @ 9:51:44 am PST
Rock777

Inactive

Bleack! Lost my start PF for the first game of the Tourney :(
Bridger

I.1

My 9th place conference team just came 4 points short of winning our way into the big dance :(
mukilteomike

Inactive

I have no idea how a bad defensive guard held my starter to half his season's shooting percentage. Bonus vent, end game play is so laughably bad. Very consistent in that. Sometimes to your advantage, sometimes not.

Updated Sunday, February 10 2019 @ 10:18:11 am PST
Rock777

Inactive

I would like to report referee game fixing :( Refs were obviously on the take in this one. My team was fourth lowest in the conference for PFs, and I actually ratcheted down the pressure in this game...

At first I couldn't figure out how I lost the game, until I saw the 37/43 free throws... :O

I killed them on the court with shooting %, but they demolished me with Free Throws.
Reneverse

Inactive

Got *beep*ing whipped by the Rugters so absurd.
Hodge_17

St. Thomas Aquinas Spartans
II.1

Just gonna leave this here... I know my team doesn't have the most stellar defensive coach or defensive players... but i think its pretty ridiculous in college ball for a team to put up 141 points in regulation (NO OVERTIME). The most my team has ever given up is probably in the 120s for sure but for my team to be 0.8 TPI worse than Louisville (138.5) and my team to be (137.7), i'm just saying that 141 points against is a bit extreme. They shot 60% from the field and 83% from the line... but even then 141 points?????

Has anyone seen their team give up more than 141 points in a game? Or do you see where I'm coming from?
141-96 loss :/

http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/game/121808

Jason1216

Loyola Marymount Lions
III.1

Thats rough. Most I've given up is 107.

On another note, what a horrible time for my star PG to get injured for 15 games!! I'm still going to win the league, but it still sucks
Onsilas

Inactive

I won. Not complaining. But frustrating my team shoots 0/11 from 3, and this guy shoots 4/4.

http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/player/30958
mukilteomike

Inactive

My guys dropped in interest some over the flip. Who knows why. In Legends, stayed in Legends, made the national tourney. Drop in interest. Ha. Okay. I hope someone picks up my team when it becomes available. Enjoy all.
eaquaphin

Texas A&M Aggies
III.4

I am in the same boat, have been II.2 for 4 straight years and after the flip lost interest from everyone except the 1 senior I am targeting.

Updated Friday, June 7 2019 @ 1:14:49 pm PDT
Rock777

Inactive

Its most likely playing time or red shirting. This is happening to all of us. I wrote extensively about it last season. There really isn't any way to tell if a recruit is interested in your team or not. Its really just a guessing game.
BradenWoA

Houston Cougars
IV.5

Doesn’t seem like it’s exclusively redshirting at the very least, A&M didn’t redshirt at all last season.
eaquaphin

Texas A&M Aggies
III.4

playing time was a consideration I considered but would have still expected to move to at least medium after all those contacts.
BradenWoA

Houston Cougars
IV.5

Again, I think we should not be able to see exactly why our interest went down, but we should have more available to see potential reasons why. Won’t push the point too much as this is a debate that’s been had many times haha
eaquaphin

Texas A&M Aggies
III.4

it has been a bit of a heated debate in the past. I can understand the points that have been made and respect everyone's position. It would be good to have a little feedback after a few contacts, even to say not interested in your school.

As I said I understand the thoughts that have been given in the past and doubt anything will be implemented to keep things even for everyone.
Pig_Cola

Arizona State Sun Devils
V.1

I don't understand how my center fouled out in THREE minutes. That's just absurd to me.
BradenWoA

Houston Cougars
IV.5

Three minutes???? Holy cow! What was your hook at?
Pig_Cola

Arizona State Sun Devils
V.1

He's got a quick hook.
olivetcomets

Inactive

Of course my best SG goes down for another 14 day injury (2nd time this year) and I'm playing the other undefeated team in the conference... Perfect timing..
Gambler75

Inactive

Game feels SO completely random, I've just given up on trying. The recruiting is fun, but if the stats mean absolutely NOTHING, why even bother? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have a very fast team ... we never seem to get jack #$&@ for fast breaks, but a 110 SI average Colby team runs about 150 breaks on us, led by a 7 speed PG. O.o

Seriously ... bizarre.

Updated Monday, July 1 2019 @ 10:34:25 am PDT
BigBallerPeter

Inactive

How does my coach have 20 recruiting and yet I have struggled to get solid recruits the past 3ish seasons? It just went from everyone wanting to go to Vandy to No one wanting to go. Even in the years I was ranked first in the nation for like the whole season no one wanted to come. In real life *beep* like that doesn't happen. The best players go to the best schools. Not the best players go to the trash schools where they will get lots of playing time. The 2 big recruits I went after this season both chose somewhere else then Nashville. I started recruiting these players as freshman before anyone else, I got to high before anyone else, I continued to put points into them, and where do they go somewhere else. I know they aren't in state or even in region, but still as of right now my team is still the best in Hardwood history. The numbers don't lie.

Updated Tuesday, July 2 2019 @ 8:57:10 am PDT
Charles07

Cal State Los Angeles Golden Eagles
V.7

To BigBallerPeter.... I'm no expert on this game but it looks like the two recruits you lost were to two very good teams in their own right. Loyola Marymount has been highly successful the last couple of years and so has Francis Marion. I even checked their RPI rankings and it looks like you're right in the middle of both of their teams. It doesn't seem that crazy to me that two guys would stay in their home state with two very successful programs. Somewhat reminds me of James Wiseman (Memphis), Anthony Edwards (Georgia), and Jaden Mcdaniels (Washington) in this years real life recruiting class.
celtic4warrior

V.1

I'm not really venting, but I do find it funny how I keep being jumped at number two by different teams for number 1 in the nation... Just you wait! Lol
admin

Hardwood Administrator

That's because there is some weighting on conference ranking -- so the #1 team in Conference 1 keeps leapfrogging you as the conference lead changes hands.

Steve
verysilentone

Mississippi Rebels
II.1

Regarding Anthony Edwards, that was just UGA's bagman winning that one. There's no way any decent bball player would go to that trash of a program without UGA offering an obscene amount of money.

People thought it was weird for FSU to be in on his recruitment, but at least we've done something, UGA is one of the laughing stocks of college basketball. No reason for him to go there.

Sorry, still some pent up frustration lol
celtic4warrior

V.1

Well, got my wish. Let's see how long I can hold onto the top spot!

celtic4warrior
celtic4warrior

V.1

Take number 1 back, it seems to be a bad luck charm.... Lol

celtic4warrior
BigBallerPeter

Inactive

What you said is true. What really annoys me is teams like Saint Mary's Minnesota and Hawaii, which are going after good recruits and getting them which is stupid because their teams are awful! Not yet Hawaii but in the current state of this game I'm sure they will

Updated Thursday, July 4 2019 @ 1:00:55 pm PDT
hawaii

Inactive

i like how my names in your mouth lol worried about your recruit ray? dont worry im only at 100+ pts at him lol

ill stay in league 3 get these next classes and come for you when ur dropping cuz u cant get recruits lol
Rock777

Inactive

Illinois-Chicago seems to be blessed by the college BB gods. First Olivet lost their SG before facing off. Now I've lost both of my Centers :(
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

Don't feel bad Rock. I'm going to lose my starting and back up centers, my starting power forward and my starting small forward. Thats why I've been trying to recruit big men this season and will probably need to be playing freshmen recruits (if I can get any) and stinky 2nd and 3rd string not so big sophomore men next season.

If I can't get anything at least 7 foot tall (so they can at least block some shots) or halfway descent then I'll be needing to start a RS Senior 1 star 6' 8" walk-on at center.

How sad needing to look at another relegation down where it will be even harder to promote up due to having an even more difficult time getting any good recruits to sign. lol

The moral to this sad story is do not try to recruit all junior college guys that graduate the same year! If you need to recruit 4 guys at the same positions (say the front line) then make sure you use the RS option to stagger when they leave. :-)
Rock777

Inactive

Why 7'? A 6'8 guy can do just fine as a big. As long as his other attributes are good. Setting a filter at 7' is really going to limit your opportunities.
Yuri84

Portland Pilots
V.4

Speaking of heights, I'm kinda mad that all my big prospects that used to have 6'8-6'10 projected height all had it changed to 6'7 after joining the team. :/
Rock777

Inactive

Really!? I've never seen the projected values change before. That sounds like a bug.
Yuri84

Portland Pilots
V.4

Yep. Smirnov and Weston used to have 6'8 projected height, and Chisholm 6'10. Recruited them all as potential centers... but once they signed they all became projected 6'7's on season flips.

Really worried about Smith now. It's one thing when a player doesn't reach his projected height (had a center that stuck at 6' 10½ with projected 7'), and another thing when their projected height goes down once they turn pro. :/

Updated Sunday, July 7 2019 @ 7:35:59 am PDT
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

@ Rock

I say this because of shot blocking. Maybe I'm wrong but my team has played some teams that have 6-10, 6-11 and 7 foot centers and PFs.

Strum 6-9, my starting center isn't too bad on IS and Rebounding. Granted he's not great but he does play a lot of minutes and he has a 15 ppg average. and his skills aren't horrible

With that said. My team played a couple teams that had a 7 foot center and a 6-11 PF or just a tall C and Strum was constantly having his shots blocked and both of those opposing big men were not as developed as Strum's skills are. He didn't even score 10 points in one of those games and he sometimes scores near 20!

Also, the 6-6 guy(s) I have playing at PF could not score a basket with these near to 7 foot and 7 foot centers. Maybe there are other factors here but thats the way it seemed. Strum was blocked 6 times in the first half of one game for a total of like 12 against this team while my guys blocked 3 or 4.

Strum does only have an IQ of 4 and maybe that causes him to make poor shooting choices but to me after watching most if not all of my games is that having a 7 foot player(s) on the front line does give a premium to shot blocking, even if they have an SI under 100 and their skills aren't that good which was what I observed. With seeing the relatively weak big men on the other team I had my offense set to I which puts them trying to score right under the basket and I ended up losing the game because the other team was killing me on 3 pointers, FT and my teams poor shooting %.

Thats why my focus is on having a couple of 7 foot or near 7 foot guys on my team. Since I am losing the entire front line (SF, PF, C and C back up) to graduation next season figuring that a 7 foot center that can at least block some shots even if he can't do anything else is kind of appealing...

But then again, maybe I'm wrong because I have observed shorter big men that have a superior leaping ability help as well in that department. I'm just guessing here along with guessing about everything else in this game because who really knows, other than the developer. Cheers..
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

About the projected height of HS seniors and younger players. have you taken in to consideration that as persons age, that their growth slows down. Plus (it seems like) most of these projections of what the guy will turn out to be are just guesses or actually just what the scouts think. That might be why the projection of height changes as they age and progress through the seasons.

Again, thats just a guess on my part because I have players that are either not as tall or taller than their projections... Thats what makes this game rather appealing is because the players do not turn out exactly as the scouting report or projections say they will. Kind of like being lucky if the player does turn out as good or better than expected. Good luck.
Rock777

Inactive

I'm not sure how much correlation there is between blocking a height in the game. I see a lot of shorties with a lot of blocks. Remember, size is a lot more than height (wingspan, jumping, etc). Then there is also interior defensive ability. The defensive style you are using. The offensive style of the opponent (a lot of driving?) And I suspect there is also hidden trait either for blocking or aggression (which effects blocking).

I have a 6'10 center with a 7'6" wingspan, a 36½" vertical, and 13 interior defense, but he is hopeless at blocking.

On the other hand, one of the leading blockers in my conference is only 6'6" with a 6'11¼" wingspan, a
30" vertical, and 10 interior defense, yet he gets twice as many blocks as my center. So you can see that size is not a huge factor in block rate.

Either way, you will find a lot of 6'8 guys that are "bigger" than 7'0 players. Personally I consider 6'8 my cut-off. We can each define for ourselves, but you are going to cut out a LOT of good bigs with a 7'0 cut-off.

shikago

Loyola-Chicago Ramblers
IV.6

Somehow managed to beat a top 10 ranked team earlier in the season, and was looking like i might even promote. But now my best big (probably best player overall) is out for 9 days at a key stretch :(

At times this seems like more of an injury simulator than basketball game to me.
GrizzFan

Cal Poly Mustangs
VI.12

Forearm inflammation must be a serious injury... I've had kids break things in this game and only miss ten games. A key reserve has his forearm get inflamed near the end of the season and he needs to sit out for 21 days, serious injury for sure! Oi.... Lol
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

@Rock. To me it seems like 7 foot or near 7 footers block a lot of shots. I watch the games (nothing better to do) and thats what it seems like. Who knows if thats true because maybe my centers just aren't able to shoot over opposing players. I played a team recently where their 6-5 center was blocking my 6-9 centers shots. lol Who knows.

Since this is the venting thread. It's sad to hear about the injuries and at inopportune times.

A couple of games back both my centers fouled out of the game. Both my centers are descent. The starter is a descent scorer and defender while the back up is purely a rebounding / defensive center. Both of them fouled out with 10 minutes left in the game and a walk on had to finish the game. Needless to say he didn't block any shots but at least my team hung on to win the game.

Thats the first time that happened but it was bound to happen eventually because a 20+ foul game is not uncommon for me. :(
shikago

Loyola-Chicago Ramblers
IV.6

I'm about to blow my chance at promotion, in what will be an epic collapse. With just 7 games left to play, I had a 3 game lead over the 3rd place team (a bot), and a 4 game lead over the 4th place team.

Have a feeling everything is going to break against me down the stretch. Instead of the cluster of really good teams behind me beating up on each other, watch the 4th place team win out the rest of the season, and the 3rd place bot overtake me as well. While i lose 5 of 6 or something like that and finish 1 game out.

shikago

Loyola-Chicago Ramblers
IV.6

Updated Wednesday, July 17 2019 @ 5:17:20 am PDT
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

@shikago

I know how you feel. My team is sitting in 3rd at this time and my team staying in the top 3 is precarious at best.

There's now 6 games left and 5 of the 6 games are against the bot teams fighting it out in the middle of the conference.

I have lost the first game to 3 of the 6 and my point differential is quite a lot less than theirs is so if I happen to end up in 4th and tied I won't make it because the 4th, 5th, and 6th place teams have better Diff tie breakers and they are all at least 2 games back with 6 left to play.

It does not look good for me and realistically I will need to win the remaining 6 games and if I lose one then I'll need to hope for some luck as far as how those bot teams do along with the Diff.

As far as your team goes, I don't think you have anything at all to worry about because you have a 4 game lead over the 4th place team and your Diff is high as well.

So with that said, your magic number is 3 and all you have to do is win 3 of 6 and you are in the top 3. Even if those teams below you win all 6 it doesn't matter if you can manage to win 3. Me on the other hand realistically needs to win the remaining 6 and the chance of that happening is very slim.

I'm having a hard time beating those teams under me and am just squeaking out the win, like today. My SI was almost 20 points higher than the team I played today and I only won by 4 points. So I don't have much hope of being promoted.

Good luck to you though. I see you promoting relatively easy...
shikago

Loyola-Chicago Ramblers
IV.6

@Blackbeard - Well we both hung on after all! 3rd place for both of us.

What an awful tournament draw for me though. First round matchup vs a conference I.1 team good enough to win 18 conference games at the top level ><

Then again, games seems so random sometimes. So I guess there's a chance. Like I beat a team by 41 points about a week ago, only to get eliminated by them in the conference tournament days later.

On a slight tangent, rebounding is really weird too in some games I've seen. Where 7 foot monsters on the boards get held down by short opponents with barely average rebounding.
celtic4warrior

V.1

Utterly ridiculous, I'm getting so sick of my teams constant demolition in postseason play, does anyone have suggestions on how to avoid having players constantly foul out of tournament games? It has been a curse of my team since D 3, when I enter tourney games, my teams just start fouling and I average about two key players fouling out a tourney game. This year I had the depth to deal with this issue, next year I won't. This game I didn't. Having my top three big men get in foul trouble early just killed me and my team never recovered... There goes the best team I have built's hope for a title... SO FRUSTRATING.... Congrats UNLV, you definitely earned that one.

celtic4warrior
Gambler75

Inactive

Starting C out 18 days ... just got him back today. Immediately injured again. I've never run him over "light" for tiredness. >.<

Oh and the backup also decided he's gonna go cry baby in the trainer's room too, just long enough to make me use 3rd/4th string guys vs what is likely our toughest match of the season - on the road.

We should've sacrificed a live chicken. :(

Updated Sunday, August 25 2019 @ 1:17:59 pm PDT
Pig_Cola

Arizona State Sun Devils
V.1

I can't understand how my team lost to Wisconsin, who was on a 10 game losing streak, had a height disadvantage at four positions, and TPI of 122 compared to my 136.

Pig_Cola

Arizona State Sun Devils
V.1

Even off the bench, he still manages to commit eight turnovers in 21 minutes.
Pig_Cola

Arizona State Sun Devils
V.1

Even with a pace of 0, my starting PG manages to commit nine turnovers in 20 min.
pschwartz

Richmond Spiders
II.2

Just lost to the 9 seed in my conference tourney - a team I beat by almost 20 on the road. All of the top seeds are out - last 4 are the 9, 10, 11, and 12 seeds.
pschwartz

Richmond Spiders
II.2

This game was fun - http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/game/184549

Opposing PG had 9 AST and 1 TO despite bad passing and ball handling ratings. My PG has much better ratings which resulted in 2 AST to 7 TO.

Updated Saturday, October 5 2019 @ 11:06:41 am PDT
Pig_Cola

Arizona State Sun Devils
V.1

Reusing tactics from a previous game was a complete fail for me today. :(
Philliesworld

Inactive

Recruiting just keeps getting harder and harder for Nova.
shikago

Loyola-Chicago Ramblers
IV.6

Ugh, lost the first 2 conference games of the season by a single possession. :(
theonlyroberts

Inactive

Lost a recruit to another in region school that had a lower interest level than I had him at.
Shrugging my shoulders too much trying to figure this game out.
shikago

Loyola-Chicago Ramblers
IV.6

Starting SF already injured and lost yet another 1 possession game. And... my center got injured for 19 days on top of it. Was leading the conference in player of the game awards. So it's a big loss.

I probably should take a long hiatus from the game honestly. It's turned into a bad news simulator that there's really no control over. Having a bad real life day... oh hey here's a cherry on top & let me give you something to dwell on all weekend too.

shikago

Loyola-Chicago Ramblers
IV.6

LOL, so of course with my best player out I beat the #3 ranked team. Then beat another team ahead of me in the standings by 24 points. Nothing makes sense!
greatest

Inactive

Can someone please tell me how to keep my players from getting their minutes snubbed for no reason? My starting point guard will just randomly play like 17 minutes a game when I have him set to play over 30. Wtf is this ?
ESac

Inactive

Greatest, he fouled out of the game.
Philliesworld

Inactive

@greatest,

Fouling out is not the greatest 😉
greatest

Inactive

That's embarrassing. Thanks.
Philliesworld

Inactive

It's all good man! Try adjusting your fouo trouble hook in game management settings if he keeps getting himself into foul trouble...

Updated Monday, October 28 2019 @ 1:46:49 pm PDT
greatest

Inactive

Had to do that actually. Both him and my center are clearly pretty aggressive.
Hayseed

Lewis & Clark Pioneers
I.1

OK, i am frustrating by this one:

I have a SG that I am Red Shirting as a Frosh. He is marked as a RS and he isn't on the Depth Chart, yet came in as the #3 SG for 0 min. That sucks. My #2 SG/SF came in for 8 minutes and 3 of which were at SG. In the past my #3 SF has come in at SG instead of this RS Frosh. This hurts because I am trying to protect my of my lack of depth at SG for injury, where I would have the RS Frosh come in a play big minutes instead of this fail.

Updated Friday, November 1 2019 @ 9:41:24 am PDT
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

I'm thinking that this situation might be due to the way RS works that Steve recently changed. Once he gets to 5 games played he will no longer be called in to a game as long as the RS box is checked in game management... However, I can see how this would be frustrating...

Might want to set him at 0 minutes. Maybe that will insure that he never goes in to a game. I think that might prevent the player from being put in a game.

Updated Sunday, November 3 2019 @ 11:04:22 am PST
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

@ greatest and philliesworld:

Don't feel bad. A few games back both my starting center and his back up both fouled out. Luckily the 3rd string guy has high stamina at 15 and I set him to play 30 minutes. :)
ESac

Inactive

Your team has injured player(s): Kendrick Ray +6, Laurence Osbourne +21, Alex Light +11, Ed Spencer +16

My team is screwed for the tournaments.
Brewnoe

Inactive

Owie ... thought I got kicked in the ESac with

Your team has injured player(s): Vance Bennent +10, Todd Fulkerson +5, Gil Esposito +3
Pig_Cola

Arizona State Sun Devils
V.1

He really exposes my lack of depth at center since he's been injured twice already.
Dcmrulz

Inactive

having a really really bad recruiting class the last 2 seasons is killing me.
Philliesworld

Inactive

Every single game since exhibition this season I have had at least one of my top three players injured, except for one game where only one was injured...Even with the poor depth that Nova has we managed to scrap through it till the game versus Temple today where my two best players were injured forcing me to go small and play young players who need to stay on the bench... Didn't work, I got SMACKED worse than I ever have in a long, long time, by rival Temple...

Hurts like hell not to able to put up a fight against a rival, or anybody...

Congrats to Temple though. Damn good team.

Updated Monday, December 2 2019 @ 9:55:13 am PST
shikago

Loyola-Chicago Ramblers
IV.6

Got blown out by a division VI bot. And followed it up with another loss to a division VI bot. I was using most of my best players too!

118 skill index SG absolutely torched my 167 skill index SG... I don't understand anything. Same as when I lose my best 1 or 2 players then go on a winning streak. It all seems completely random. :/

Updated Wednesday, December 4 2019 @ 5:23:39 pm PST
Itsjustmath

Muhlenberg Mules
IV.3

Four of my starting five foul out. Coach decides to burn a game for my planned redshirted point guard by having him enter in the last 10 seconds of the game to watch foul shots being made.
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

Wow, 4 out of 5 starters foul out. Thats pretty harsh. The worst situation I ever had was when my starting and back up centers both fouled out.

It's kind of weird because your starting 5's IQ isn't all that bad and I think thats what causes fouls the most.

Sad about the RS guy as well. I guess as long as he doesn't go past 5 games then no problem, but wasting a game like that is definitely a bummer. :(
Yuri84

Portland Pilots
V.4

@Itsjustmath: if you want to redshirt someone, remove them from depth chart. Otherwise things like these are bound to happen.
pschwartz

Richmond Spiders
II.2

Removing from the depth chart might not be enough because injuries and/or foul trouble might still put the player in. The only way to guarantee a player does not enter the game is to set their minutes to 0.
Itsjustmath

Muhlenberg Mules
IV.3

I had him removed from both overall and ingame depth charts. I haven't tried the 0 minutes, but that might be the way to go. I would rather have him available for the inevitable late season injuries to one of my point guards, but I have hired this coach and have to live with his decisions.
El jefe

Temple Owls
I.1

3-0 against top 5 teams; getting my ass whipped against every other decent team I play......makes sense
pschwartz

Richmond Spiders
II.2

Makes sense to me ;-)

In all seriousness, not sure what shocked me more. Winning that game or the fact that my team didn't really seem to follow the tactics I laid out for them.
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

Does it really matter if he is put in to a game? As long as he is RSed then the game AI will stop when he reaches 5 games played and not put the guy in to a game as long as the RS box is checked. Am I incorrect with that? At least thats what Steve said I think.

If you want to not waste a game and instead have him play 5 full games then do that and the RS box "should" prevent him from playing. I RS the guys I want to RS and don't care if they play for a minute or whatever. So i don't understand what the fuss is about. Maybe you can explain it to me. :)

My team never follows my tactics and thats more frustrating than having a RS guy be put in to a game for 1 minute or less. What frustrates me is my team can not shoot 3 pointers. They went 6 out of 29 today and thats with all the out side shootings being set to i.

You would think that the i setting would prevent the player from shooting 3 pointers and instead make them shot inside that arc. It doesn't and thats frustrating with a team that takes so many 3 pointers. I wouldnt mind as much if they made more of them.

Updated Monday, December 9 2019 @ 10:42:06 am PST
pschwartz

Richmond Spiders
II.2

Blackbeard - the more a player plays the more they develop. So the idea (which I also follow) is to have your RS players play heavy minutes in their 5 games. If they only play for 1 minute or so then they are losing out on some potential development. In the grand scheme of things I agree, it doesn't really matter. But if you are trying to absolutely maximize a player's SI then it can be annoying.

What I have done is to look at non-conference games where I am a lot better or a lot worse than the other team. Since point differential doesn't matter in non-conference it doesn't matter if I win or lose by 50 or 5. So I start some RS guys and give them 30+ minutes.
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

Thanks for the explanation. I kind of figured it was like that. I guess what I don't quite understand is why a simple thing like RSing a guy is so difficult. It shouldn't be.

Perhaps the next change to that should be if the RS box is checked then under no circumstances will the game AI put him in the game. If theres no walk ons to be inserted in then the best player available should be played, even if it has to be a 5'8" SG having to play center then so be it. lol Or just have the AI add minutes to the back up center or other more suitable other players and they can just get tired. That might be a solution if the manager hasn't put very many playing time minutes on his players.

That might be best in order to stop the dissatisfaction associated with RS. And if the manager wants to have him play like you described pschwartz then he would need to uncheck the RS box.

Maybe only adjustments can be made to the AI and something that doesn't apply to the depth chart can not happen.

Jeez, I don't what to say about RSing because I really don't care if my RS guy gets an extra point or two. Oh well. I do feel bad for the guys that are bothered by this. :(

I like to win all my games and don't want to chance losing just for an extra SI point on an RS player. Prefer to make the tourney where wins seems to matter whether you get in or not.

Updated Tuesday, December 10 2019 @ 10:45:06 am PST
pschwartz

Richmond Spiders
II.2

Perhaps the next change to that should be if the RS box is checked then under no circumstances will the game AI put him in the game.

This is what we had before. The problem is that if you want your player to play you must uncheck the redshirt option. Then you forget to check it again and your player plays in 6 games instead of 5 - so then you lose your redshirt. Or at the end of the season you want some of your RS players to get minutes, you stay under 5 games, but then forget or are unable to recheck the box. Users were bugging Steve to retroactively redshirt their players which is not a good position for him to be in.

Now, there isn't really an excuse. If you want to RS a player just check the box and don't touch it. If you want him to play then up the minutes and put in the depth chart. Worst case scenario your player only plays a few minutes a game. I'd rather have that then possibly lose a RS because I had to play with the RS box.
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

I can definitely see your points pschwartz. It all makes sense to me and honestly, I don't know what the solution to it is. But it is interesting and fun to discuss it, lol.

I am RSing a sophomore this season because a new a guy I had RSed last season is way better than the soph and he would be sitting around as a 3rd string guy that I wouldn't be using. So that's how I use red shirting. Not like other guys wanting to squeeze out as many SI points as they can. Which is perfectly fine. :-)

Updated Thursday, December 12 2019 @ 11:29:12 am PST
El jefe

Temple Owls
I.1

Literally cant beat anyone of remote substance now with 6th highest TPI in all of D1. Granted I have a poor defensive coach, but team cant stop anyone - constant over 50% OFG. Man, zone, pressure - doesnt matter. My coach is a tremendous offensive coach but my offensive cant shoot for anything now. Just at a loss right now........end of vent
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

I really didn't think that the points the coach had would make a whole lot of difference. I see that I may need to rethink that and I'm probably wrong. Your team looks like the players are pretty good on both inside and perimeter defense.

Maybe it's time for a new coach El jefe? Perhaps one that is good at both offense and defense? But then, it would be a hard choice whether to give up recruiting or player dev. I'm glad I finally found my coach. He's pretty good at everything.

Keep looking at the coaches for hire. I looked every day and finally found mine. I'm figuring that my coach must have been on a bot team that fired the coach when the manager quit the game. Which they seem to do very frequently. You do have a very good team though. Good luck.
Yuri84

Portland Pilots
V.4

Was development changed in some way? This update only 4 of my players improved (which is the lowest I've seen since the launch of this game), and the last time I had more than 5 players improving was six updates ago.

We're more than halfway through the season and my players that used to gain 15-20 SI per season have gained like, 3-5 till now. This is beyond frustrating.

Updated Sunday, December 22 2019 @ 9:21:32 am PST
punkska

Lincoln University PA Lions
III.2

Your development looks mostly fine to me. From best to worst: 9,8,8,7,7,7,6,5,5,3,3,3,2

Mine (with the same coach level for player dev): 9,8,8,8,8,7,7,6,6,6,4,4,3,2

3 of my 4 8s are freshman without playing time (theory: with the good coach they'll get some easy pops early on).
The equivalents on your roster are one of your 3s and a 2 who barely play and are into their 3rd year so that's most of the number difference.

So your real complaints:
Chisholm - 3 (a backup, 19 pops last year, but does have space to pop in OS, BH and speed)
Wickens - 5 (backup - space in RB, def, PA)
Carlisle - 5 (missed some games - IS, OS?, BH)
Gates - 3 (IS, OS, spd)

I don't think you can expect excellent development on every one of your players every year. As Chisholm had those 19 last year most of his skills will be at or near the bottom of the decimal. It's probably mostly explainable.

An aside: what is your coach actually doing to your players, 4 injuries currently :D Maybe he is doing something wrong...

As it's the venting thread I'm going to throw in an aaargh about my recruiting. 6 scholarships open with only 1 taken so far and I'm scrabbling around at this point to try to fill at least 4 of them...

Updated Sunday, December 22 2019 @ 11:06:52 am PST

Updated Sunday, December 22 2019 @ 11:07:48 am PST
Philliesworld

Inactive

I don't have any research, but I definitely agree with Yuri. Development has been nerfed since several seasons ago. There's no doubt in my mind that my players aren't developing as fast. Than again I'm working with a different group of players, each player has a different rate of development.

Updated Sunday, December 22 2019 @ 11:28:20 am PST
Yuri84

Portland Pilots
V.4

I don't think you can expect excellent development on every one of your players every year

Well, I kinda can... I'm playing this game from the first season and I'm used to seeing 8-10 players pop up every training update, often more. Lesser numbers usually happened late in season and were quite rare. Six underwhelming updates in a row is a bit too much imo.

But thanks for the input anyway, it doesn't look that bad now. :)

I guess I wouldn't care that much if I wasn't worried about Carlisle chances to get drafted. I decided not to redshirt him a while ago because his progression suggested that he should gain enough SI to have a decent shot at draft, but now his position doesn't seem so strong. The injuries didn't help either.

I'll also change training focus just in case. Perhaps my players can't improve in additionally trained stats anymore.
El jefe

Temple Owls
I.1

I've noticed this a lot more with recruits too - many more in high school who have one good pop year and then improve under 10, sometimes under 5 thereafter
Yuri84

Portland Pilots
V.4

And this update it is only 3 improved players... honestly, wth?
buzzcody

Inactive

Yuri84 stated:And this update it is only 3 improved players... honestly, wth?

That's your training hardship reward for your stellar work in building a good team and leading the league. Also, the 27 team injury's you incurred so far this season as your opponents average but 2, that's also a additional hardship for success reward you earned from the game. You see the game does recognize quality hard work and success by offering such rewards.
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

This actually isn't a vent it's more of a WoW! lol

I just noticed that my coach got almost a 1 million $$ raise this season! Not bad and I'm glad that my team doesn't have to actually pay it. lol

2009 $00.50M
2010 $1.45M

Something that is a vent. I'm in a fight to get promoted and my back up center got injured and will be out for 14 days and will miss 4 games!

I guess I'll need to have my red shirt guys play a few games to fill in. A walk on won't cut it, not when you need to give the starter a rest. Maybe increase his minutes a bit...

Updated Monday, December 30 2019 @ 11:00:55 am PST
mason

Grambling State Tigers
VI.3

I didn't get the JUCO recruit I was investing in. End of vent.
pschwartz

Richmond Spiders
II.2

I guess home court advantage doesn't work well in this game. Beat 4 teams on the road in conference play and they then they all beat me at home. One of the spreads was over 30 points. In conference my team is 11-2 on the road and 5-6 at home. Pretty frustrating.
Yuri84

Portland Pilots
V.4

My team didn't lose on the road until game 18 of the regular season (including exhibition and non-con games), but had 5 losses at home.

So I agree there's something fishy about that. (Or perhaps it's just our division) :D
Wine13

Inactive

165 contacts on 4 recruits this year--all signed elsewhere. 1 more out there but sure he will go to an Oklahoma school. 134 on 3 recruits last year and got 1. frustration peaking at this point. And 2 of this years recruits were at VERY HIGH.
Yuri84

Portland Pilots
V.4

@Wine: 165 contacts on 4 recruits isn't much. Especially since two of them are 5 star 14 pot guys out of region. I figure each of them would've required 165 contacts to sign. Definitely no less than 100.
Mcdoogle

Inactive

It takes a crapton of points to get those high ranking prospects. I spent 130 points on Josue Espino and lost when I was with San Fran, learned the hard way so I avoid those logjam prospects when I can.
Yuri84

Portland Pilots
V.4

I got Espino with 173 points iirc.

There was also an in-region guy I lost to another team with about 120 points invested.

This season I got Gambino with 108, but I had to "gift" Knox to Oregon State because I felt it was better to get one than to pursue both and fail to get any.

Updated Thursday, January 2 2020 @ 2:33:12 am PST
theonlyroberts

Inactive

I am giving up Hardwood effective today.
A LL2 school somehow stole a recruit from me that I had 20 contacts into.
Never showing as competition, I’m not sure how the signing was even accomplished.
I wish you all the best of luck with this convolution.
SnoozingPanda

Gardner-Webb Runnin Bulldogs
III.3

They probably put in a bunch of contacts late.

Maybe it’s an unpopular opinion but I don’t think it’s fair to have D2 and D3 schools not be able to get decent recruits just because they are in D2 and D3. Especially when the system in place is designed to have teams get promoted and demoted.
Yuri84

Portland Pilots
V.4

He meant LL.2, not D2. So he lost a recruit to a higher Div team.
Gambler75

Inactive

Late game logic is still infuriating. That is all.
Itsjustmath

Muhlenberg Mules
IV.3

Not the best time to for an injury to one of my starters.
Yuri84

Portland Pilots
V.4

There's nothing I hate more than losing to teams with inactive managers.
I'd rather lose to Sacred Heart or MIT in the previous rounds. :/

Updated Tuesday, January 14 2020 @ 9:45:09 am PST
pschwartz

Richmond Spiders
II.2

Do game tactics even work in this game? Last 7 games set my I/O to ~, this past game set it to i and I end up shooting a lot more threes (only making 25% of them) and lose to a team I really needed to beat.
Itsjustmath

Muhlenberg Mules
IV.3

My PG has a "-" green light and takes the most shots in the game.
Pistol Pete

Inactive

18 game shooting average 52%
last 3 game shooting average 37%

One game ok, two games maybe, three?, no way.

Didn't lose to the best teams, far from it.

The whole damn team just doesn't...suddenly...have a bad shooting game three games in a row.

Losing my patience with these kinds of inconsistencies.
cdilks

Colorado State Rams
VI.4

Not really a vent because I know my team is terrible and wasn't expecting a win here, but still funny.

Sc*beep*d out an eight-point half time lead.....proceeded to give up a 14-minute-long 35-2 run against to start the second half: http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/game/263617
Pistol Pete

Inactive

I've about had it with the magical seconds that appear from nowhere at game end. 0:00 left on clock, time out called (how does that even happen), 0:08 seconds appear on clock, team takes ball length of court, pass it around a bunch, shoot, score, you lose by two.

Seen these magical seconds appear more time than I can count. It's nonsense. When there's zero on the clock...there's zero on the clock. End of game!

End of game clock, late game antics that don't make sense...let's get this stuff fixed already. Late game AI is seriously flawed.
pschwartz

Richmond Spiders
II.2

Where? This game:

http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/game/259260

0:19 - Tulane: Beasley brings up the ball against a zone defense. Beasley passes the ball to West on the perimeter. West shoots from beyond the arc. The shot goes in! Tied 88 - 88.
0:07 - Game Event: Time out. Air Force substitutes Aragon to Shooting Guard. Tulane substitutes Paul to Shooting Guard and Parrott to Power Forward.
0:07 - Air Force: Gibson brings up the ball against man-to-man defense. Gibson drives by Beasley. Gibson goes up for a layup. The shot goes in! Air Force 90 - 88.
0:00 - Game Event: Time expires!

Tulane gets the ball with 19 seconds left and makes a 3 with 7 seconds left. Air Force calls timeout and then goes the length of the court to make a game-winning lay-up. That is certainly possible in 7 seconds.
basoy6658

Azusa Pacific Cougars
IV.3

Well it is possible, specially if the ball advances into the half court because of the timeout.
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

The way the game clock advances and then after something happens and the game line advances suddenly theres more time on the clock. That happens all through the game as the game or time line advances. It's not just at the end of the game.

I don't know why it does that. Maybe it has to do with how the AI plays out the game because each game is actually played out in a couple of seconds. Then in order to watch the game as the text advances there needs to be pauses inserted after each line of text is shown. If pauses were not inserted then you wouldn't be able to see the game text progress along, it would be like the results and all the text appears instantly.

With that said, maybe some more pause delays need to be added to the code or maybe the code can be somehow optimized so that the clock doesn't need to regress after something happens and the text is displayed.

That game clock thing has to do with the programming and how it's configured to be shown on the screen. yes, it is rather annoying but maybe it was never intended to have a lot of people that actually watch it... Who know, I'm just surmising like with everything else in this game.
pschwartz

Richmond Spiders
II.2

basoy - that only happens in the NBA. College would inbound on the baseline in this example since the TO was taken after a made shot.

Maybe something is showing up weird in the game action. I don't actually watch the games - just look at the box scores.

But the end to this game seems fine to me. You can certainly dribble baseline to baseline in less than 7 seconds.
basoy6658

Azusa Pacific Cougars
IV.3

Well i think they already did change it pschwartz since 2015.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2015-17%20Guidelines%20for%20the%20Option%20to%20Advance%20the%20Ball.pdf

:)

Updated Friday, April 24 2020 @ 2:47:00 pm PDT
pschwartz

Richmond Spiders
II.2

That's for the women's game (I actually didn't know that). For the men you can't do that.
Pistol Pete

Inactive

Yes it's possible to score in 7 seconds. No problem there.

The problem, is that the clock was already at 0:00. No time on the clock. I see this time and time again at the end of the half and the end of the game.

0:00 on the clock but for some reason the time doesn't expire. Somehow, with no time left; timeouts are called, substitutions are made, and the game continues with time on the clock that came from where?

It's not the AI, it's code. I have no clue what it's doing or trying to accomplish...but it's clearly not expiring the time when it should.

This is problematic because it affects standings. A team wins that shouldn't have, a team loses that shouldn't have. A team could potentially lose out on promotion or be demoted because of it.

I'm not whining because I lost the game, I've been on the winning side of it too. It's not right that it happens at all. It affects conference standings and potentially seedings. The potential affect on the cut marks is huge for a team.
ESac

Inactive

Missed out on League III for the second year in a row, finishing 4th in my division.
At least I'm in the national tournament this time *knock on wood*
Pig_Cola

Arizona State Sun Devils
V.1

One game into non-conference play and my backup center is already injured after playing 10 minutes.
Pyle341

Inactive

My team is absolute doodoo this year
El jefe

Temple Owls
I.1

Figured it would be good to bump this thread up since it hasn't been used in a while. Always a good place to let out those frustrations!

For my part, I'm really fed up in losing out on recruits to competition that is right around my "High" interest level, but way below me in prestige, and league level. Four of the last Five cycles now (although I'm pretty sure I was the beneficiary on one in between); it's not like my roster is brimming with talent so minutes are available! Sign on the dotted line you ignorant kids!

thesystem122

Inactive

Fantastic game, only gripe is the lack of time based game management options. I would like to be able to set a closing lineup for crunch time, as I trust my 6th man more than my freshman center who is mostly there for his height. I also would like the option to slow down my offense a bit when protecting a late lead. Aside from that, this is one of the best free games I have ever played.
Bridger

I.1

Maybe I should start using the venting thread instead of yelling at people on Discord :)

How does Cody Martin draw 9 fouls in a game against my team?
kauffdaddy

Inactive

Now that's a top-rate vent. Even I would be stewing over that one, and it takes a lot to get me going.
electriceel883

Wisconsin Badgers
III.2

Championship-level flopping in the paint?
naph

St. Marys Gaels
II.1

You know that guy who has a really herky-jerky, awkward game because he has coordination issues? He's always in slightly the wrong place, makes weird unexpected decisions. Sometimes a ref sees a guy like that and mistake the awkwardness for being fouled.

I can only assume that Martin is that guy.

(In other words, I have no idea either. RNG gonna RNG)

pschwartz

Richmond Spiders
II.2

I'm venting that the person who normally vents had nothing to vent about after our game today
celtic4warrior

V.1

Hey everyone it looks like I've run the gambit, from LL6 to LL1 back to LL6. Ugh... Recruiting has destroyed me these past few seasons, I just cannot get any of my original targets anymore and have to settle.

celtic4warrior
Bridger

I.1

Is CLU the first time to pull this off?
BobMcKay

Delaware Fightin Blue Hens
IV.7

Why, oh HW gods, have you forsaken me? One game from staving off relegation with three to go, and my 5-star starting SF is injured for the rest of the season.

Must find a live chicken to sacrifice.
mercernd

Inactive

steal-jobus-rum-bluejays.jpg
celtic4warrior

V.1

No idea if I am the first, but very well could be!

celtic4warrior
lmartins6746

North Greenville Crusaders
IV.4

ugh...there was no need for Harris to attempt a shot in that situation. Ball + lead + reset shot clock and 27 seconds left.

1:18 - North Greenville: Hanks brings up the ball against a zone defense packed inside the paint. Hanks passes the ball to Hawk in the middle. Hawk passes the ball to Hanks on the edge. Hanks passes the ball to Strom in the middle. Strom shoots from the inside. The shot goes in! Assist Hanks. North Greenville 77 - 76.
0:58 - Huntington University: Najera brings up the ball against pressure defense. Najera passes the ball to Chastain. Chastain shoots a jumper from the elbow. The shot misses. Hanks grabs the rebound.
0:49 - North Greenville: Hanks brings up the ball against a zone defense. Hanks delivers the ball to Hawk in the middle. Hawk passes the ball to Strom outside. Strom passes the ball to Hawk. Hawk shoots from the wing guarded by Gray. The shot misses. Harris controls the missed shot.
0:27 - North Greenville: Harris has the rebound. Harris shoots from the block. The shot misses. Stevens grabs the missed shot.
0:25 - Huntington University: Gray brings up the ball against man-to-man defense. Gray passes the ball to Chastain. Chastain shoots a jumper from 13 feet. The shot goes in! Gray credited with an assist. Huntington University 78 - 77.
0:17 - Game Event: Time out. North Greenville substitutes Regalado to Power Forward.
0:17 - North Greenville: Gatti brings up the ball against a zone defense. Gatti passes the ball to Regalado in the paint. Regalado passes the ball to Hanks. Hanks shoots a jumper from the elbow guarded by Najera. The shot misses. Regalado captures the offensive rebound.
0:00 - Game Event: Time expires!
thesystem122

Inactive

Man this conference race is frustrating. We lose our best player for 5 games while tied for first, get smoked yesterday, and then today, with a chance to move into a 4 way tie at the top, we score 15 points in the last 18 minutes and collapse in crunch time. I need to remember that my program is still ahead of schedule in the bigger picture, but we are really letting an opportunity get away right now :(
JD

IU Purdue-Indianapolis Jaguars
IV.2

Spent several seasons trying to build a National contender then lose best player to injury right as tournament starts...frustrating
lmartins6746

IV.4

So I know this team isn't quite as talented defensively as some of my previous teams, but this is getting ridiculous...can't stop anyone.
Hayseed

Lewis & Clark Pioneers
I.1

So this season is a good example (like just about every season) of how the Conference Playoffs are broke or just weird. If a team is clearly in the tourney, rarely do they want to play starters. I have often played starters for 1-2 games, thinking that if they get dinged they should return for tourney. My team now has 3 injuries since playoffs started. Unfortunately I think I will be without all 3 for long after I am ousted from the bracket.

I am surprised that we beat Mississippi today, but they had a injury too. I think neither of us tried to win today, but even when verysilentone wants to lose he is better than me.
rlawrence

University of New England Nor'easters
II.1

Not broke at all. You made a choice. You chose ... poorly :-P
Hayseed

Lewis & Clark Pioneers
I.1

;) -- true.
I am sorry for not adding anything intelligent to my last post. I don't have many answers to the issue, except for adding a bit of prestige to the conf playoffs would give incentive to win. I mentioned some other ideas to improving prestige a while ago in a post I can't find. This is my favorite game and there is hardly anything that I would even suggest as improvements except maybe how prestige is weighted and how it impacts things like the playoffs.

I was just venting after getting 3 injuries heading into tourney.
Slickandjake

Inactive

I agree the prestige system could use some tweaks to avoid some issues, especially the conference tournament having absolutely no prestige which then provides almost no incentive to actively try to win it. I remember Hayseed's post and thought there were some great ideas concerning prestige in that thread.

I like the idea of prestige eroding slightly over time if the team is unsuccessful. A team could have mountains of prestige, fall and stay in LL6 for years, and still be one of the most prestigious teams in the game and potentially have a recruiting advantage. I immediately think of real life San Francisco. They won 16 regular season conference championships from 1955-1982 with two national titles. They were a great college basketball program. They have only received 2 NCAA tournament appearances and no regular season conference titles since 1982. That has resulted in little to no interest of top basketball talent wanting to go there today. Their prestige has fallen quite a bit. This game is set up nicely to manage prestige. Get demoted, take a hit on prestige. Stay in lower level conferences and lose a certain set prestige over time. In fact, the "rating" seems like a decent metric to replace prestige in some fashion.

So this change could create a better game experience, especially concerning the conference tournament games having meaning. With that being said I really don't have important things I would want changed with this sim either. Anything I could come up with would be nitpicking, and considering the game is free it has tremendous entertainment value as is.
Hayseed

Lewis & Clark Pioneers
I.1

+1 to Slickandjake's thoughts

and to continue to vent, lol . . . today I played RS's and walk-ons, but didn't have enough walk-ons to field a team. Thus I had to play somebody. My best big, Asher, played 0 min, but walked onto the court for warm-ups or something and got hurt. He's the 4th player hurt in these playoffs, but I do get 1 back at least. I guess I might suggest the rules change so we can either forfeit games or have enough walk-ons to field a full team. ;)
electriceel883

Wisconsin Badgers
III.2

Considering blowing up the season and playing the kids.

I realize there are always going to be some home-road RNG variances but getting outrebounded 27-24 by 5-26, 4 guys out for the game, one guy taller than 6'5.5 (I have 8 players 6'8 or more) is about as bull*beep* as anything I have ever seen. Oh, and we won 120-47 in the first game. I didnt change my starting lineup from losing yesterday, by 2 points, on the road, to #1 RPI team in Divison 2 (Columbia) who I have split the season series with.

If that isnt a gigantic talent disparity, what the hell is it, daily luck? I mean what the *beep*?
Coach_Mojo

Inactive

Coincidence? I think not ! Again some shady BS at crunch time in my season. Poised to finish top 3 in conference only a game out of First Place I lose a heartbreaker in OT. I can handle that but to lose my top 2 players to injury (both for 9 games) with exactly 9 games left in the season is absolutely RIDICULOUS !!!!!!!! I have been playing this for quite some time and I have noticed a lot of shady BS with the game play. I have documented a bunch of it for the last 4 seasons and my conclusion is that the people running this dog and pony show can manipulate game play, outcomes, injuries, and just about anything they want to for their own benefit. I am convinced of it. That's probably why nobody plays this crap. I should have never came back to it. No fun when shade rules here.
gards710

Dominican Univ. of California Penguins
I.1

Wow, you've been playing the game so long that you don't know that your players are out for 9 DAYS, not 9 games.
Mattysota

Minnesota State Mavericks
III.2

If someone was rigging results for their own benefit, they probably wouldn't be in LL5.
buffmckagan

Missouri Tigers
III.4

Am I doing something wrong? I throw all these points at recruits, and then I consistently lose out.
alt_lmartins

Amherst Mammoths
IV.6

probably spreading your points too thin. If you had focused on 2 or 3 recruits instead of 9 you may have won them and then you can go after the unrecruited guys to fill in another 1 or 2 spots.

As a rule don't start recruiting anyone you are not prepared to go to very high on. The exception being mid to late sr yr (and probably 2 star guards)
Jason1216

Loyola Marymount Lions
III.1

This algorithim makes no sense most of the time. My point guard has a passing of 17 and ball handling of 15 yet is averaging just under 4 turnovers a game. Todays game he had 7 turnovers against a weak defensive team smfh
lmartins6746

IV.4

3-4 turnovers a game seems about right. I don't think I've has a point guard better than 3.6 (your current pg). You also run the fastest pace offense in your conference. Faster pace equals more turnovers due to faster decision making and more possessions.

Your pg had a bad game.
Jason1216

Loyola Marymount Lions
III.1

I suppose that makes sense. Though even when I've slowed it down he still seems to screw up lol.
buffmckagan

Missouri Tigers
III.4

probably spreading your points too thin. If you had focused on 2 or 3 recruits instead of 9 you may have won them and then you can go after the unrecruited guys to fill in another 1 or 2 spots.

As a rule don't start recruiting anyone you are not prepared to go to very high on. The exception being mid to late sr yr (and probably 2 star guards)

Thanks for the tip. Just have a lot of holes to fill and am now getting discouraged. I tend to nab a big guy, then am unable to consistently build around them it seems
electriceel883

Wisconsin Badgers
III.2

Whats the point of recruiting anyway? You can recruit someone for 4 years, and some top team can take them anytime they feel like it. I dont know why I even get contacts, just fast forward to #40 after D1 has made all their selections for whatever is left over. Recruiting is unbalanced to the point of bull*beep*
Slickandjake

Inactive

Looking at your recruiting board, all of the players you missed on this season were really good out of region players. You can expect competition on really good players, especially if someone is in region against you being out of region. Even the two players you snagged were either INTL or out of region. And looking at your roster they are mostly out of region guys. Looking at all this it is likely you aren’t efficiently using your contacts.

And recruiting has a very good balance in the game in my opinion. Players need to understand how to get good value for their contacts spent.

Updated Tuesday, June 28 2022 @ 4:39:48 am PDT
electriceel883

Wisconsin Badgers
III.2

You would not get the right idea about my recruiting by looking at the guys I missed out on this season since you cant see the contacts I spent (most were very little), besides the Canadian guy I lost to a team with an 85 year old head coach that has 16 recruiting (who I spent a lot of contacts on).

The talent per region is not created equal at all. The Central region has tons of talent so you may not ever have to know about needing to recruit elsewhere, which is not the case for many.

gards710

I.1

It's still not as efficient compared to how most teams' boards look. Because if those in-region guys of yours aren't even showing, then you had very little chance at them too. You're basically trying the opposite of what most successful teams do. We all heavily recruit in-region because it's so much more advantageous and efficient to do so.

A 16 rating in recruiting, even for an 85 year old [84 years old sic], is still really good. In fact, they have 3 coaches with higher ratings than any of yours (as well as the 8 recruiter). Overall, I'd say they have a better recruiting staff than yours though. Side note: The 84 year old's ratings should go down, but the recruiting still rates as a 16. Lol, that coach doesn't even have the "is at the age that his skills are declining" comment tho.

Anyways, the talent differences per region has been well documented. The Central region is indeed one of the stronger ones. It does seem somewhat cyclical though, just like one might expect real life to be, with certain regions have booms of talent over a period of several years.

And yes, it should be easier for in-region and/or higher division teams to gain interest on prospects. They're better situations. The balance in this game is that those higher division teams need to/should recruit better and higher rated players. They can't survive on just the 80-95 SI high school seniors. Meanwhile, there are plenty of decent to good players left for lower division teams that would not be good enough for higher division teams. That is where teams like yours come in. And then you give them playing time and they develop well and then they produce well and you win and you promote and you become the high division team and then you recruit better players.
Hayseed

Lewis & Clark Pioneers
I.1

I agree with Slick and gards.

This is a game of incremental development of your whole program. The key is to determine your school's place in that trajectory to the top and become a value picker. Being a value picker in this case means being very efficient. Even as the top team in my region and now pretty good overall, I almost never put a single point into a player out of my region (unless they are INT). My region is very thin on talent (PacNW). I feel there is only one decent player in the 2030 freshman class in my entire region and he isn't even in-state for me. I will go all in and that leaves other teams in my region to adjust and still get some value somewhere. You have to study your opposing regional schools and jockey for position. There are players available for 1-2 contacts on the last day that can get you into LL4. That is very efficient! I use INT as my back-up at times, but that isn't so efficient. There is a good sophmore in-region, but he has "no preference to play close to home", so I don't think I will bother wasting a point in him either. In fact no school in region has yet.

There has been some discussion lately in discord that some presidents don't bother with tactics (even some top schools), but I think tactics are almost 50% of this game. So there are ways to climb the ladder without 4 stars even if your school is from Oregon. That is soomething that makes this game more interesting to me than other games. Steve's BB doesn't have nearly as much game control and hence is less interesting to me (or maybe it's because Hood River isn't too good -- until this season's Cup run, fingers crossed we survive Friday).

It will take quite a few seasons to get to the top, but that makes it more rewarding once you do.
Hayseed

Lewis & Clark Pioneers
I.1

Another way to put it is that, if a school from outside the PacNW comes in and tries to recruit even a moderately good player, then they need some really big britches and a line of wheelbarrows full of contacts to burn.
electriceel883

Wisconsin Badgers
III.2

Yes I am aware of many of these things, and 11 of my 13 scholarship players were less than 12 contacts, with 5 of them being 1. This year it was 1 contact and 9. Most guys I get are in the 80-90 range. Sometime a bit higher if someone is a G.

But of course I look at my own region first, why wouldnt I want it easier if I could? That being said, I think the 2028 Midwest recruiting class is a very good one, which is either not usually the case, or that what there is goes to Marquette, Ripon, Michigan St etc.

So, that those lofty schools would intersect with me there is a bit mind boggling. I have only attempted to recruit a small handful of 4 stars (and 1 five star my first year or two when I didnt realize what a waste that was). I have never been someone that recruits a higher SI/POT just because they are higher. Its all about their particular profile. So, the guys who could be a very valuable member of my team goes to Legends and plays 15 mins their entire career.

@gards. That being said, I think length of recruitment should have more weight than it does. Coming in at the last minute should cost more contacts then normal, even for the prestigious.

@ Hayseed: Yes, 6 teams made the D2 tournament out of V.8 and the 7th was on the bubble. So I will be facing all those guys and the ones that get kicked back from IV.I for the foreseeable future.
Slickandjake

Inactive

Electriceel, I get your frustration. Certainly some regions have more talent than others, and likely more schools competing for them too. I didn’t look it up. But I also looked at your scholarship players. Two of them in-region, and both in-state. That is not a recipe for success in recruiting, in my opinion. Gards and now Hayseed too have said the same thing as me, and they are great managers. We all believe the key is to use in-region talent to build the bulk of your team. And a quick search of your region shows a lot of talent available. I haven’t had a 5 star yet. They aren’t needed. I saw Tom Polk in Illinois his freshman year and wanted him from the start. But he was going to cost a ton and I stayed away. I want to build a team, and great 3 stars and even 2 stars, can fill the need and get you to rise. If I went after Polk, and even got him, I would likely have killed my future and likely descended in the next few years. So if you want to succeed in recruiting, find the great 2 and 3 stars in state and in region with no or little competition and get a big lead on them.

Updated Tuesday, June 28 2022 @ 12:57:33 pm PDT
AUEagles

Inactive

Recruiting isn't broken just because you're terrible at it.
Slickandjake

Inactive

If you need some input on whether a player looks good or not, just send a message and I would be willing to tell you my thoughts on them.
electriceel883

Wisconsin Badgers
III.2

@slick Thats the rub of course: there are reasons not to recruit 4/5 stars (redshirting, amount of points, not wanting to over-spend on one player and so on), which is exactly why I see top schools on people I am targeting.

Well, what players I have been able to recruit (only 3 of them are as much as 3 stars), won VI.16 4 seasons ago, and have been at least 6th during my time in the toughest division in D2 (in my opinion) and defeated Columbia, Marquette, WI-Superior this season and I have no reason to think next season will be any worse. So I dont think my issue is evaluating talent.

@AU: Thanks, that means a lot.
gards710

I.1

Then part of the issue that you are having is that good players get attention from teams. I...don't see that as an issue in the grand scheme of things. If you think a player is good, it is likely someone else does too. Teams like the ones you mentioned have had success doing what we suggested. They've stuck to it. It may or may not continue to succeed.

Your initial question of "what's the point of recruiting anyway?" is what drew my attention and ire. The other aspect of length of recruitment, or investing earlier, being weighted more is worthy of further discussion imo, but not in the Venting Thread.

Updated Tuesday, June 28 2022 @ 2:02:15 pm PDT
electriceel883

Wisconsin Badgers
III.2

That was based on one single thing: you can recruit someone for years, and a top school can snipe them anytime they want during their senior season as they choose.
Slickandjake

Inactive

Electriceel, here is a big issue for you. You are on 8 players, none of which you have on high. I assume the player you have an issue with is Blount. You are on Medium and he is out of region. Your ability to defend him from a contact attack like what happened, which is in region for the team, is almost nothing. You cannot complain when you haven’t gotten them to high and likely have spread your points way too thin. Half the other recruits on your board are out of region also. You just won’t be able to defend good players out of region. About the only way to win that battle is to get a big lead, getting the player to high (preferably very high) when nobody else has anything on them, and keeping points stashed to defend them if someone moves in. Otherwise, you are always vulnerable to losing those type of players.
lynxvj

Michigan Wolverines
IV.5

All but 1 of my schollies are from Midwest, and they're good enough to take me from LL6 to LL4.

If you manage a school in Arctic or Caribbean regions and complain about the quality of the recruits, then I understand. Otherwise, not so much.
electriceel883

Wisconsin Badgers
III.2

As I said, I posted here for one single reason:

That no matter how long you have recruited someone that a Legends team can come in at the last minute (with whatever the smallest amount of points gets them to High) and take them if they so choose.

I have recruited for six seasons, and I am here today because of the above.

Instead, there are many posts about recruiting out of region players, spreading out contacts, etc etc. If that was why I posted, I would have put it in Discussions.

It is unfortunate if any of you think I am unaware of A. Recruits in your home state cost the fewest contacts B. Recruits that prefer to play close to home C. In-region recruits (and no preference to playing close to home) are next fewest. D. Coaches, League Level, length of recruitment modify that interest to some degree.

I have listened to what each of you have said, but it has basically been your thoughts on recruiting and what you think of my recruiting, and not anything to do with what I posted about. And yes, there have been in-region players D1 schools such as Marquette, WI-Superior etc have decided they wanted at the last minute and taken as well.

So, recruiting CAN be made very pointless by the actions of some of these top teams.

That can't/shouldnt complain is another thing. I'll make sure to ask permission to next time.
FurySK

Memphis Tigers
IV.1

I mean, i get it. top teams whined about the game being too hard for them repeatedly (imagine, a game being hard to stay at the top. what a wild concept). So to fight back for the small guys is valid. I'd like to see the game not be easy to stay in legends/II level, and for people to be able to rise from the bottom, but it's extremely difficult to do that without a lucky win these days.

I would also say that people were suggesting some things for a reason. your way of thinking about who to go after imo based on your board thus far is not likely to be successful based on the current climate. So they're offering up ways that you can impact, which is easier to impact than fighting the vocal minority that continuously push for the game to be easier at the top (note, i'm not saying ALL top flight schools beg, but i can point to about 5 suggestion threads where there was a ton of crying from 3 or 4 powerhouses of old and current that were adamant they needed help).

I'm also not 100% convinced that getting them to the base of high or very high is necessarily enough. I'm of the opinion that each contact has value, and i'm assuming the top teams are using this same premise and just keeping on the gas when they chase these guys, but i didn't want to nitpick your analysis initially.

Hopefully it goes better for you in the future, and maybe if we're lucky some of the prestige impact is reduced again at some point. It's a bit high currently.

Updated Tuesday, June 28 2022 @ 7:41:21 pm PDT
Slickandjake

Inactive

I don’t necessarily agree it is easy to stay in Legends and/or at the top. I argued that several seasons ago, I was probably in LL4 at the time. You have 6 new teams entering legends this season. When I made the argument a few seasons ago there was something like 40-50% new teams getting to legends each season for I believe the previous 5 seasons when I stopped looking. That is a high percentage. And the only team currently in Legends with a long tenure there is Tennessee. Six different teams have won Legends the last 7 seasons, including the current season, and only 2 of those teams will still be there next year. The simple fact is, it has been proven many times the last several seasons that teams have made it from LL6 to Legends in something like 8-10 seasons. It can be done. And the Legends teams didn’t spawn there, they had to navigate the Legends recruiting too (this was plagiarized from a Discord comment). I have had many players along the way get so much competition I had to let them go. I get the frustration. But if it were easy, it wouldn’t be fun. There is difficulty recruiting whether you are at the bottom or at the top. I would agree the top teams do get a recruiting advantage, but in general they can’t take up the numerous gems that go cheaply each season (based on Discord comments and watching great players on my board I didn’t contact but know committed at low interest). The key is to get great value for your contacts, and there is value in a lot of places.
Slickandjake

Inactive

The data I was referring to in the previous post was a discussion about redshirting in this thread: http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/forum/-/3/1516

It was my post from December 13, 2021. It was made in the 2023 season when I was in LL4. I looked at the last three years and there were 8 new teams in Legends out of 18 teams at that time, or 44%. This coming season it will be 100% teams making their Legends debut.

Updated Tuesday, June 28 2022 @ 8:44:45 pm PDT
electriceel883

Wisconsin Badgers
III.2

As always, you guys have a lot of valuable things to say. I believe that like broken bat, there is a certain amount of randomness to prevent the same teams from staying at the top (there it is players unexpectedly stop developing, not playing up to their attributes) and yes, that can make things frustrating but I overall look at that as a positive: it gives more people a chance. And when you do make it to Legends, because it is not easy, the accomplishment feels a whole lot better.

How must it feel to be one of the teams named personally by Steve in a Final Four posting? Great I bet.

I just think it would be better if duration of recruitment had a stronger weight - to the point of making it cost more contacts for those coming in late-in-the-game (unless someone if not recruited to low by anyone - and there are always many of those until later in the Senior Year) to underscore the relationship one has built with the recruit.

But it is what it is. It's not my game but I am grateful to be able to play it.
Wine13

Inactive

This has been a very interesting thread to read but @electriceel883 I don't understand your initial complaint about top schools sniping your recruits at least not this year. 3 of the 5 recruits were taken by level VI teams. the other 2 were taken by UCONN and TEMPLE. Yes higher level teams but both those recruits were signed in November. How does that fit your complaint. Those 2 teams may have used a lot of their contacts right after the flip and that's why they signed with them. It is a pain to lose recruits you've put points in. I put 70 something points(one of the highest # of contacts I've ever put on anybody) in Chad Chapman over the last 4 years and lost out to Georgia Tech. I'm in region, been in Legends for 5 years and lost a top recruit to a level IV team. For me those are just the breaks. Don't come back and say yeah yeah but you're in legends and its easier. That may be true but if Steve has the chance to go back and check how many teams are on the recruits I get, I seriously doubt there is ever more than 5 teams on any recruit I've ever gone after even the 4 and 5 stars. The recruiting aspect of this game is some of the most fun I have. You have to find the diamonds in the rough. Brooks Peters was a great example for me. 5 star player that nobody else wanted but he fit the profile I wanted. Look at Gards and his teams. He is a great example of someone who finds the diamonds in the rough even in Cali where there are lots of teams vying for the same players. Like someone else commented on--those 3 stars and top line 2 stars can go a long way in helping you stay competitive and rise to higher levels
electriceel883

Wisconsin Badgers
III.2

@Wine It is an overall thing, not having to do with 2026 recruiting in particular. As I have said earlier in the thread, there are plenty of players I had a minimal interest in that show in red in this years recruiting that have nothing to do with what I am talking about.

Essentially you are re-hashing what others have said that, again, is not what I originally posted about, and more of a user's particular views on recruiting.

I dont want to have to keep repeating myself even though I have clarified what I have been talking about more than once in this thread, or hear any more philosophies of recruiting.

That there would be so many replies in the VENTING thread boggles the mind. Maybe someone can start a discussion group and then you can lecture each other. At the very least you can read through the entire thread first.

That being said, I will say no more on this post

Updated Wednesday, June 29 2022 @ 2:00:36 pm PDT
gards710

I.1

Cool, have fun toiling in LL4-6 with your current strategy. You've clearly figured the game out and need no advice, as seemed to be the case when you were messaging me your 12-paragraph essays about your travails.

Wisconsin's issue is to do with Blount, the current JR in Missouri, because Toledo, a Legends team that is in Missouri's region, came in. The Discord has seen the receipts.

The venting thread gets a lot of responses because often times what people vent about is nothing to stress about. At least, that's my opinion.

Updated Wednesday, June 29 2022 @ 3:41:49 pm PDT
plokmijn

Alabama Crimson Tide
II.2

That no matter how long you have recruited someone that a Legends team can come in at the last minute (with whatever the smallest amount of points gets them to High) and take them if they so choose.

Any team can do this at any time. Believe it or not even you can do this to a top team. Points management is very important in this game. Teams often ignore the importance of recruiting players that gain interest easily and instead just dump points on a player they’ve found but take 7-9 points per sublevel. Point bombing under recruited prospects and taking advantage of teams that spread their points too thin without keeping a few saved up is often an effective strategy that any team can use. Hopefully this makes sense and you are able to adjust your recruiting strategy moving forward to find more success.

TPS2.0

Tennessee Volunteers
IV.8

As someone who has played hardwood for years, I think the recruiting has a pretty good balance in terms of the advantage for the higher end teams and still giving the lower teams a chance at recruits. There is a reason I rarely go for top US players not in my region. It takes way to many contacts to get those guys. If the game was like real life, it would heavily favor prestige along with NIL. I've been in I.1 for years recruited mostly 3 stars in my region. Sure I have Campbell and Harden, but they were both in region for me. You can easily win going with 2 and 3 stars. You are going to be challenged if you recruit the high profile recruits. I think you are getting some really good advice from the other presidents here, so I'd take what they say and start using it.
nsparks89

Mississippi State Bulldogs
VI.4

Ugh... At 25-1 I have done nothing but win and have gone from being projected as a one seed in the D 2 tournament to a three seed, which is in the same bracket as a person who is currently third in my conference and who already lost to me... Yet they are the 1 seed. Ugh, how does that happen... Haha. I guess I need to keep winning.

celtic4warrior
Divac

Gettysburg Bullets
VI.19

plokmijn: I don't know what going on here but I want to talk a bit about contact likeness a bit.

I really want to know a bit (not all) about how this works. I know that players like more schools where they have a sure place, I know about RS starts hits, and so on... but sometimes I feel like some players just don't like my team for no reason. Do you think that's a thing also?

Just from curiosity. I have no complaints about recruiting system at all (maybe I want more decent Czech bigs, but that's all :D ).
CJRICK02

Inactive

I had the 5th most talented team in LL6 this season according to TPI, but because of FPI I'm sitting playing teams in the Invitational despite going to be promoted to LL5 in a tough conference. The FPI system may need some tweaking
graymanII

Williams Ephs
V.12

Stanford missed the D3 Tourney, after a 29-1 conference season. 36-8 overall. Remember to set your schedule to "Up"!

I wasn't expecting us to do anything this year so its all gravy tho. I'll just give the young guys more minutes & come back for the flip!
Tricky Dick

Whittier Poets
IV.4

There are a lot of conferences in DIII and a few hot teams in the conference tournament that would not otherwise get in will by winning their. conference tournament. Cjrick, Looking at your schedule and losses I don't think anything needs to be adjusted. You had a favorable non-con schedule with 8 home games that should have given your team an advantage. You had too many losses against teams you should have won against. If your team won the games they should have won I think you would be in the tournament even without winning your conference tournament. Congratulations on the promotion to DII.
electriceel883

Wisconsin Badgers
III.2

Ive gotten the rivalry game with Ripon on the road 3x in a row
nsparks89

Mississippi State Bulldogs
VI.4

Can I say I have never been able to get a decent-sized big man in recruiting... It seems to be a curse that big men do not want to sign with my school, and I am continually forced to play with undersized or low-skilled big men... Ugh, the frustrations...
cal_DMV

Inactive

UDC graduated 4 starters last year, but I was not expecting us to look THIS bad. Seven losses in a row, including a four-game winless home streak. Absolutely horrific play. And now, injuries.

Clearly, this is a sign. We are being punished for our hubris. We flew too close to the sun, and now the fires of adversity are swallowing us whole.

But what is a Firebird if not forged in flame?
Ced

Indiana Hoosiers
II.2

Waiting until the end of January before we can win on the road.
lmartins6746

IV.4

How can this team be this bad?? 2nd straight year of severely underperformed the talent level.

thesystem122

Inactive

http://onlinecollegebasketball.org/game/744973

How is a 32-4 free throw disparity even possible?
kauffdaddy

Inactive

Geez, that was the definition of home cooking. That's rough.
LaurensDeGraff

New Orleans Privateers
II.2

Details:

Recruiting: Head Coach - skill 18, assistants 17/15/12. Most recent change: Gallagher 10/16/32

League: III.2 (since 2032)

Prestige: 84

Redshirted 4-5 stars? Never

These past two seasons, the cost of recruiting anyone out of region has gone way up. I was hoping it was a 1-year blip, but -

I tried "golden boy" Jaka Kralj - 8 contacts and scholarship - nothing

Now C. Gutierrez - 10 points to raise to Low.

I will once again re-iterate that this just started happening these past two seasons. Before that, guys like Baldo Popović, Cheikh Seck, Dylan Turner were regularly 6-7 contacts or so.

Admin: Nothings wrong

I would be interested to know if anyone else at my level and general characteristics has experienced this.
Ratsvam12

SUNY Canton Kangaroos
I.1

I think prospects look at position competition on your roster - Gutierrez might be looking at the 6 Centers he will be competing with?
Mcdoogle

Inactive

Wouldn't be surprised if it's the fact you have 6 centers on your team.

Spending 12 points and a scholarship to hit low on a prospect outside of your region isn't anything new for me. League 6 to 3, it's been the norm in my experience.
El jefe

Temple Owls
I.1

@New Orleans - Temple never has luck with international guys so 8 contacts + a scholarship = no interest is par for the course for the Owls.
lmartins6746

IV.4

I think it is somewhat randmon sometimes. Sometimes I'll try a guy and it might be 10-12 contacts to low. Kralj was much lower though so I went for it. Could be my terrible roster helping me out with him though.

I did have a problem recruiting Centers for amherst not too long ago but it is ok now. It was annoying as it seemed to be because of depth but many of the centers on the roster would be gone by the time he enrolled.
electriceel883

Wisconsin Badgers
III.2

Well some of you probably redshirt 4-5 stars too. It's advertised to train players at the position you want them in. Many of the listed positions for recruits are ridiculous and have no relationship to where they would play. So, yea, I can see how that could be a factor, but WHY would it be a factor? If its something more general like "how many average mins do your true FR play"? makes a lot more sense.

That being said I have 9 players that have C as a primary position. 3 more that have it as a secondary position. Thats pretty usual for me.

I have had this type of team for many seasons, and have noticed no particular changes, aside from what can be linked to demoting this past season.

I think the key point is LaurensDeGraff is saying its severely changed for his team recently. But idk. General variance is in a certain range for me and has been pretty consistent. Interesting how you and New Orleans recruited same player with such different results.

I think there should be more clarifications on what the rules are for international players. We all know some US players are harder or easier, but is it the same for INT? I mean is there a hidden desire to not be signed and supposedly play overseas that makes them hard to recruit? I can say level DOES matter, from my own experience. When in D3 it took 10-12 for every INT. But there seems to be no "advantage" to striking first that I can see. Just my thoughts.

Updated Wednesday, October 11 2023 @ 5:05:30 pm PDT
lynxvj

Michigan Wolverines
IV.5

What's the record for most INJs in a season?
Michigan has 12 conf games played and 17 INJs (will be 13 GP and 18 INJs tomorrow).
Do I get a trophy or something for that?
plokmijn

Alabama Crimson Tide
II.2

I had 27 injuries three seasons ago and 25 last season, both of which felt pretty high.
lynxvj

Michigan Wolverines
IV.5

22 INJs now.
Hayseed

Lewis & Clark Pioneers
I.1

wow, that is a lot. Sorry to hear the bug has hit so hard. Have you tried acupuncture?

If it helps -- the most I have had a team go through was 25. Once I had only 3 games lost while starting 3 guys averaging over 30 min. I think it is a random variation Steve throws into the game.
lynxvj

Michigan Wolverines
IV.5

Oh wow, finally there are no more red numbers on my alerts.
Just when I'm about to authorize titanium limbs replacements for my players.
celtic4warrior

V.1

Has anyone else had literally all of your contacts commit elsewhere this year? I am on pace to go into next year with four unfilled scholarships because out of the six players I went into this season targeting all but one committed... I'm used to always getting at least two. I then continually start contacting two other players and each time they immediately committed to another team when they had been at no other teams interested the day before when I started contacting them. These past few years have been atrocious for my team recruiting-wise... I am just very confused about how when I have two coaches with 14-plus recruiting skills, can anyone give me feedback on this and how I can improve when I am only targeting 3-star and 2-star players mostly...

celtic4warrior

Updated Tuesday, November 7 2023 @ 12:17:26 pm PST
El jefe

Temple Owls
I.1

I also had some very poor luck this season with both Temple and Cedarville missing out on top targets (multiple for Cedarville), and having to cobble together a recruiting class
MuchoMaas

High Point Panthers
III.2

I am really having *beep* luck with recruiting of late. Whether it's my d3 team that can't land a JC guy it's been recruiting since he was a soph in HS or a D1 team,

and let's be honest this really pumps my gnads... lost my recruit (no pref in locale) to a d3 team that hasn't been seen in 10 days. AYFKM!?!?! I supposedly have good recruiting 13-16-18-10. My prestige is High. I'm the 16th ranked team in the country. And I'm cucked by a d3.

just outrageous, and all the more frustrating since it's second straight season of not landing any of my top guys. So frustrating, but really continually losing to guys in low Ds and yet not winning squid with my D3 recruiting. Coming and going. just outrageous. Only guy I bid on all year because I switched the coach. 1 open scholarship, and I lost to a guy who hasn't allocated recruiting points in 9 days.

that's really rich.
MuchoMaas

High Point Panthers
III.2

when dude finally signs in he's in for a helluva surprise (two weeks since last sign in and it looks like he won't return, but he still got my recruit!!)

me, I'm wondering how recruiting works that a D3 that doesn't put any points on him for 10 days can beat me out (also, High++) when I was on this guy with every point since the beginning of the season, and am a D1.

doesn't make much sense to me

Updated Sunday, December 24 2023 @ 7:47:36 am PST
scowley75

SUNY Geneseo Knights
IV.4

OK, I'll vent!

Just lost 92 contacts on a recruit.

Signed with a VI team (I'm in V).
I've had him at Medium interest longer.
The team that got him, the owner only seems to log into his team every 4-5 days.

A whole recruiting cycle wasted. :(
Minnesota Macdoes

Rhode Island Rams
V.3

Why does my 5th scoring option feel the need to shoot a step back three pointer with 6 seconds left when we're up 1 which of course he misses and we go on to lose to make it 3 straight games lost on buzzer beaters.
Gherm

Butler Bulldogs
IV.2

Are you kidding me!!! I have a guy on very high, I was the first to put points in him, and my competition is on medium. Somehow, they get him! How does that even happen? There goes my center for the next 4 years.
p3rth

Ohio Dominican Panthers
V.12

why is the panther to the left of this post so big
Blackbeard

St. Johns Red Storm
V.4

That panther to the left is SO big probably because the Ohio Dominican Panthers have always been known as a big powerhouse of a college bball team. :-)
p3rth

Ohio Dominican Panthers
V.12

the p3rth era bouta go so hard for ODU
p3rth

Ohio Dominican Panthers
V.12

5-22 irl rahhhhh

Previous Page | Show Page |